PDA

View Full Version : is there room for a better program than Pokertracker?

Flint{$N}
03-26-2005, 06:03 AM
Hey all,

been reading these posts. i mentioned before that I will be doing my thesis concerning poker AI. This is an undergrad thesis so it won't be that intense compared to those done in masters/phd. I was thinking that creating a program similar to or better than pokertracker might be a better route.

opinions?

Thanks!

Flint

pro20050
03-26-2005, 07:24 AM
If you are thinking of combining poker tracker with odds/analysis functions, check out pokeroffice 1.80. It is very complex (and far superior to PT/GT+ during games). I personally belive that it would be impossible to come up with a better tool than pokertracker/pokeroffice as a thesis. And there is also a myriad of other, less capable tools. But good luck!

scarr
03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
You never said what your major is, so I will assume it is Computer Science. I got my BS in Computer Science in 1986. Never went for a Masters or Phd.

As for a thesis in poker/software, I have some ideas.

You could look at the whole security thing. Bot detection, collusion, and other types of cheating.

You could look at proving the sites are legitimate in the way they run the games. Many people think it is rigged. Thesis could be a method of proving it is legit.

You could create internet player database, and a method of finding the best internet player. You could get people to send you hand histories for this purpose and accumulate a huge database.

You could do an analysis of the types of statistics which are most indicative of player tendencies.

Wish I was still in school and had the opportunities the internet provides now. The ideas are endless, I was quite limited in 1986.

Good luck,

Bill Gillock