PDA

View Full Version : Double paired board with overpair

Rake_in
03-26-2005, 02:51 AM
The only thing I know about UTG is that he played 43s out of position in a previous hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (20.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

UTG is a loose player. He could be playing like this with a 2, or with a 4 planning to checkraise me on the turn. He could also have a flush or straight draw. Thanks UTG+1 for building up the pot.

Turn: (12.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

At this point I figured if I was still ahead UTG would probably fold to a bet. If I was behind, I would get checkraised and fold, losing one bet. I decided it would be better to risk getting drawn out on and call one bet on the river instead. That way I pay the same amount as if I were checkraised on the turn, but I get to see a showdown.

River: (12.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 13.16 BB

How does this look?

mr pink
03-26-2005, 03:00 AM
i'd like it more if your hand wasn't as vulnerable to overcards. if you get check/raised here, it's an easy fold imo.

if this is hand was KK instead of JJ where you aren't as concerned about overcards, then i could understand checking behind.

Rake_in
03-26-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if this is hand was KK instead of JJ where you aren't as concerned about overcards, then i could understand checking behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beggining to think that this play was wrong because the pot was very big on the turn and there were plenty of ways for me to get drawn out on. Because of that, I probably should've focused on minimizing the chances of losing the pot, rather than worrying about saving bets. Maybe if the pot was much smaller this line would make more sense. What do you guys think?

jdl22
03-26-2005, 06:30 AM
I would bet the turn and call both a check-raise and bet on the river. If he checkraised the turn and checked the river I would give him the chance to double checkraise.

The reason for this is the huge number of players that will jam it here with an ace kicker. Firstly as mentioned overcards are trouble for you so you can't give them a freebie. Secondly they will call and even raise you with loads of hands you beat. Given the action up until the turn an ace is not out of the question for UTG.

ArturiusX
03-26-2005, 08:15 AM
JJ's to vulnerable to check through, theres potentially 12 cards that can really hurt you.

adamstewart
03-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Checking the turn is a fundamental error.

Bet the turn (you may want to fold to a check-raise, though).

Bet the river again as long as non-A/non-K falls.

Adam