PDA

View Full Version : UNC-Villanova TERRIBLE CALL

pudley4
03-26-2005, 01:25 AM
TRAVELING? ARE YOU FKING KIDDING ME? Total horseshit call. Lundquist and Raftery are idiots too for agreeing with the call.

edited to get the correct idiot announcers in there.

jesusarenque
03-26-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TRAVELING? ARE YOU FKING KIDDING ME? Total horseshit call. Nantz and Packer are idiots too for agreeing with the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

He walked.

bugstud
03-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I thought it was two steps.

DontRaisePlz
03-26-2005, 01:29 AM
It's only a terrible call in the sense that traveling is rarely called and the idea that officiating shouldn't decide the game.

From a reality stand point, it's borderline.
I'm not sure if there was a foul even if it wasn't a travel call anyway.

pudley4
03-26-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TRAVELING? ARE YOU FKING KIDDING ME? Total horseshit call. Nantz and Packer are idiots too for agreeing with the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

He walked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. He spun and dribbled twice as he drove. His second dribble came down almost exactly the same time his left foot hit the ground. He doesn't touch the ball with his left hand until he's in the air coming down on his right foot. He then picks up the ball in both hands and goes right-left-up. No travel.

tech
03-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Either way you don't make the call there (on the travel or the foul). Count the bucket and play on.

JTG51
03-26-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Either way you don't make the call there (on the travel or the foul). Count the bucket and play on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people say that all the time? Do you really want different rules when the game is on the line? How many steps should be allowed? How hard can you hit a guy before it's a foul?

jesusarenque
03-26-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people say that all the time? Do you really want different rules when the game is on the line? How many steps should be allowed? How hard can you hit a guy before it's a foul?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 110% true. Maybe 111%.

bugstud
03-26-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Illinois UWM game, it seemed like 4 = travel, <4 = lots of booing

siccjay
03-26-2005, 02:19 AM
It was very very close but I thought he traveled. It sucked for it to be called though. Sportscenter will tell all. I hope.

chio
03-26-2005, 02:21 AM
when the replayed it, it was pretty clear it was two steps. the announcers all said "yup three steps" i was like wtf? even if it was close, that's a HUGE call to make. just my opinion as a college bball fan, i didn't even care who won the game

tech
03-26-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really want different rules when the game is on the line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why don't they call EVERY foul, carry, and travel at every point of the game? They should, but it is commonly accepted that some things get called and some don't. When you step outside of those norms, it invites criticism.

jesusarenque
03-26-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when the replayed it, it was pretty clear it was two steps. the announcers all said "yup three steps" i was like wtf? even if it was close, that's a HUGE call to make. just my opinion as a college bball fan, i didn't even care who won the game

[/ QUOTE ]

Two steps is traveling, isn't it?

JTG51
03-26-2005, 02:31 AM
"Then why don't they call EVERY foul, carry, and travel at every point of the game?"

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

JTG51
03-26-2005, 02:33 AM
"This is 110% true. Maybe 111%."

Wow. 111%? That's really true. Is that some kind of record?

Dead
03-26-2005, 02:36 AM
them d00z was like pwnedddd

ehhh

mehhh
yea /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

jesusarenque
03-26-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hank once instructed Bobby to give 113% (not to be confused with 13%, which is bad luck), but I can't confirm that he actually did it. I think that would be the record. I

masse75
03-26-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TRAVELING? ARE YOU FKING KIDDING ME? Total horseshit call. Lundquist and Raftery are idiots too for agreeing with the call.

edited to get the correct idiot announcers in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raftery is a moron regardless of agreeing with the call. A curse on Dick V. for creating the notion that announcers were supposed to 'entertain' us...can't we just call the game like Jay Bilas?

radek2166
03-26-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He walked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. He spun and dribbled twice as he drove. His second dribble came down almost exactly the same time his left foot hit the ground. He doesn't touch the ball with his left hand until he's in the air coming down on his right foot. He then picks up the ball in both hands and goes right-left-up. No travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

link please.

pudley4
03-26-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He walked.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link please.

[/ QUOTE ]

My TIVO /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pudley4
03-26-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two steps is traveling, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're moving with the ball, from the moment you pick the ball up (the moment you stop dribbling), the foot that is currently in the air and on it's way down is allowed to come down, and the other foot (the one that is usually on the ground) is allowed to take one step. This is exactly what happened.

Watch when guys go in for layups. Right-handed dribbler: He's moving towards the basket, his last dribble comes down about the same time his left foot hits the ground, he then puts both hands on the ball, his right foot (which was in the air when he grabbed the ball) comes down, his left foot then takes the final step, he jumps off his left foot and lays it in. This is exactly what happened, the only difference is that the Villanova player took a jump shot instead of a layup.

Spota
03-26-2005, 11:01 AM
It was a questionable and very gutsy call, but I called it even before the whistle blew. There were other questionable calls in the game as well. How about the 2 or 3 phantom fouls on Felton? How about Lowry's flopping? I mean, I thought I saw Shane Battier out there for a few mintues. Raymond's 5th foul was ridiculous, and would have cost UNC the game had it went into OT. IMO the officiating stunk on both sides of the ball the entire game. Survive and move on.

After building a 10 or 11 pt. lead it seemed like Carolina was playing not to lose, as opposed to playing to win. That's Matt Daugherty basketball, and a sure way to watch the rest of the tourney from the rail.

Go Heels.

Voltron87
03-26-2005, 11:55 AM
The basket that got taken away from Duke was one of the flat out worst calls I've ever seen, purely in terms of wrongness.

pmuir10
03-26-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He walked.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link please.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/video/highlights

Arsene Lupin III
03-26-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The duke game had three really bad calls..
1. Over the back on randolph going up for the long rebound. He was the one who got fouled.

2. The offensive interference call on the Duke dunk. The ball was clearly through the cylinder (even moreso when you consider that by slamming it, he pulled the hoop down 3-4"). The upward force of net pulls the ball back up through the hoop when he lets go of the rim. Basket discounted.

3. Best announcing of the day goes to whoever was calling "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand" during the replay of duke's inbound at the end of the first half. For those who don't know, they failed to start the clock on the inbound and Duke turned it over. Louisville player looks up at the clock, dribbles in for a bucket which is discounted. A weird call, but I've never seen this before.

Why was the announcing so bad? The replay he was counting off was in slow motion. THe counting itself was not.

nothumb
03-26-2005, 01:44 PM
I thought the traveling call was awful close, I could see it being the wrong call pretty easily.

However I thought the calls prior to that were brutally bad in favor of Nova. The officials were calling a ridiculously tight game on Nova's and and slowing the game down a ton, killing UNC with ticky-tack fouls. Then you see Marvin Williams go up and get his hand slapped hard by a Nova player, and it's a no-call. Announcers even showed the replay and said "Clean block" while the slo-mo clearly showed it was a blatant hack. Then every Carolina guard gets called for blocking while being hooked, and Felton gets hit with at least 2 (his last two) that are just crazy.

Honestly, what it looked like to me was, "Gee, this is a game that UNC could run away with if we don't keep the pace slow and hit them with a ton of fouls. Where's the best officiating crew to do this..."

It's not really fair to Nova to say that because they played a hell of a game but I thought announcers and officials were terrible. I was impressed with UNC's poise for most of the second half, but those calls against Felton could have cost them a game they deserved to win.

NT

Rob Blackburn
03-26-2005, 02:21 PM
I agree with this view 100%, if the game is called a little more even I don't even think that last call means anything in the scheme of the game, becuase UNC would have been walking to a win at that point.

I just want to know what the Heels have done to people that causes players like Foye who is a 15ppg player normally, come out and drop 28 on them, same going for Lowry with his 7ppg, yet drops 18 last night. It never fails when they play a team one or two guys has to play the friggin' game of their lives.

Either way the boys are through it now they have to get through the donkey ball that is Wisconsin.

chio
03-26-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The replay he was counting off was in slow motion. THe counting itself was not.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i caught that too. it was hilarious

Dead
03-26-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
them d00z was like pwnedddd

ehhh

mehhh
yea /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, what?

I don't have any explanation for this post.

mostsmooth
03-26-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
once you start getting over 110% true, things start becoming false, fyi. thats why you always here the phrase, give 110%, because thats the max before you start jeopardizing your results.111% is where things start going wrong.

banditbdl
03-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Lowry was unfreaking believeable last night. Never mind the 18 pts he dropped, the little guy was everywhere. 7 huge rebounds (one in particular where he came flying and skying in to grab it amongst the trees) and just all over the court, probably my favorite new player of the tourney so far.

mostsmooth
03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
btw, when i was younger playing sports(baseball mainly, the coaches would tell us to not "let the umpire decide the game"

Phoenix1010
03-26-2005, 03:32 PM
It was clearly two steps. It was close enough that it requires a replay to make sure, but not so close that there should be any ambiguity among those who have seen the replay. His strong foot does not touch the floor. Two steps. No walk. Bad call.

holeplug
03-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Basketball officiating in general is just so bad right now for some reason. You would think that it would not be that hard to call a game but there is hardly any good and tons of just terrible officials right now in the college and pro game.

As for the game I just didn't like the fact that traveling is never called in basketball anymore so why would the officials pick that spot in the game to call a travel. And yet the guy didn't even travel in the first place. If your gonna make the call at least make sure he traveled before you blow the whistle.