PDA

View Full Version : Friday Special Hand- play it right?

mistaken
03-26-2005, 12:40 AM
About 1 1/2 hours into the tourney my stack is 2,500 (average 2000) and the blinds are 50/100.
I pick up AQo in late position and I open raise to 250.
Folded to the BB (6,300 in chips but not overly loose.) He calls.
Flop comes J10X rainbow.
BB checks and I bet 300 into the 550 pot.
BB min raises to 600 and I feel I have implied odds to call (does this seem correct?) I haven't really been able to put him on a range of hands becuase his style is not fully known at this point.
So I call the extra 300, leaving me with 1,650.
The turn is an A and he quickly checks.
What to do here? it seems like if I put in a bet of 1/3-1/2 of my stack I'd be committed on a raise, and checking would give him a chance to outdraw if he's on a draw or semidraw.
I push.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

Mistaken

CardSharpCook
03-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Well, you start from the stand point of believing you have 10 outs on the flop. 4 clean, 6 dirty. I'm fine with calling a min-raise. Ok, you hit a dirty out on the turn. You have as many chips as are in the pot. You're pretty sure he has a least a pair, but it is possible he is open-ended on the flop (which may mean he just made his str8). If he wishes, your are all-in at any time. But you don't really want this. So, you check the turn, figuring he'll value bet the river leaving you with chips if you're beat. Or, you kick him out of the pot now while he has up to 8 outs by going all-in (risking that he already has a better hand than you and you are now out of the tourney barring your 4 outs to a redraw).

I think I like checking the turn. I do believe in "chip and a chair". You may be sacrificing winnings as he may call down with a pair of jacks, and you may be letting him draw to his outs for free, but this is the risk I'll take, as one way or the other, I'll have chips at the end of the hand.

CSC

Pepsquad
03-26-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
About 1 1/2 hours into the tourney my stack is 2,500 (average 2000) and the blinds are 50/100.
I pick up AQo in late position and I open raise to 250.
Folded to the BB (6,300 in chips but not overly loose.) He calls.
Flop comes J10X rainbow.
BB checks and I bet 300 into the 550 pot.
BB min raises to 600 and I feel I have implied odds to call (does this seem correct?) I haven't really been able to put him on a range of hands becuase his style is not fully known at this point.
So I call the extra 300, leaving me with 1,650.
The turn is an A and he quickly checks.
What to do here? it seems like if I put in a bet of 1/3-1/2 of my stack I'd be committed on a raise, and checking would give him a chance to outdraw if he's on a draw or semidraw.
I push.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

Mistaken

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking behind here on the turn is just too weak. This is a touchy situation becasue you are sitting on the brink of pot commitment here, but you MUST communicate to him the the Ace hit you. If you check here and he moves in on the river you have no idea where you're at. I think I'd push. You won't be laying down to a re-raise anyway so put the pressure back on him.

Pep.

EverettKings
03-26-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind here on the turn is just too weak. This is a touchy situation becasue you are sitting on the brink of pot commitment here, but you MUST communicate to him the the Ace hit you. If you check here and he moves in on the river you have no idea where you're at. I think I'd push. You won't be laying down to a re-raise anyway so put the pressure back on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

So... communicate that you have the Ace so that only better hands call you? I check behind here with the intention of calling any river bet. A hand like KJ might fold to the turn push but actually push INTO you on the river if you check behind. I like that line lots better.

Rest of the hand seems fine.

-Kings

RandomFluke
03-26-2005, 04:17 AM
I really don't like to be in this situation at all. So what could he have to be making this flop bet? Maybe he has absolutely nothing and wants to steal the pot. Maybe he has AT, AJ, KJ, KT, JT, KQ, 89, 9T, or a small pocket pair. He's calling from the BB though, so it is possible that he has a garbage hand and was hoping to make top pair and push you out. The fact he checked the turn can mean he was either trying to steal the pot with the flop bet, or maybe he has just made a straight and wants to extract more chips from you. I'd honestly want to have a good read on the player if I was in this pot. With no read though and stacks the way they are and the amount of chips in the middle already I'd have to bet here, probably 1/2 of my remaining chips, obviously committing myself to the pot but hoping to push him out so he doesnt suck out on me at the river if I have him beat.

damn_river
03-26-2005, 04:51 AM
Why push? Its still early. I could see calling the min raise, but not if it means you are pot commited if an ace or queen falls. Min raises to me ussualy mean they want you to come along for the ride. If this player is any good, he is hoping you just hit your ace.
dR

b0000000000m
03-26-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So... communicate that you have the Ace so that only better hands call you? I check behind here with the intention of calling any river bet. A hand like KJ might fold to the turn push but actually push INTO you on the river if you check behind. I like that line lots better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this analysis. The whole "communicate the Ace" thing makes no sense, btw.