PDA

View Full Version : JhTh - Correct Play? Help calculating Odds

budidharma
03-25-2005, 11:17 PM
PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Im so new to this. I don't really know how to calculate odds on the fly yet. Can someone tell me if I made the right play, and how to calculate the odds?

tiltaholic
03-25-2005, 11:21 PM
ask yourself these questions:

what hand am i drawing to?
how many cards are "out there" (in the deck) that make those hands?
how big is the pot compared to my chances of getting one of those cards?

(in your example, i am not sure what hand you are drawing to. usually, we think in terms of hands that will likely win, so getting a pair of jacks or tens may not cut it)

budidharma
03-25-2005, 11:30 PM
I folded on the flop, because I would have needed either two hearts to fall to make a flush, or two of the right connectors to make my straight. If either of these had happened, i still wouldn't have had the nuts.

A queen was already on board, so I considered it likely neither a J or T would have won the hand for me.

Because they were such long draws, I figured the odds were against me, even though I didn't know how to calculate them for this hand.

FishHooks
03-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Yes you made a correct fold, but to correct something you said, When ever JT makes a straight its always the nut straight, unless of course there is a J or T on board. so you would of been drawing to the nut straight, but easy easy fold.

budidharma
03-26-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you made a correct fold, but to correct something you said, When ever JT makes a straight its always the nut straight, unless of course there is a J or T on board. so you would of been drawing to the nut straight, but easy easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, yes, it would have been the nut straight, thanks. Didn't think about that (oops!).

Do you know how to calculate the odds of this play?

jaxUp
03-26-2005, 12:28 AM
if nobody answers the odds question I'll do it later when I'm not multi-tabling 6max

caggin
03-26-2005, 12:33 AM
This hand is an obvious fold, you don't even need to calculate the odds but... With 5 players in the pot, I'm assuming that hitting a J or T won't be good enough. So you're drawing to a backdoor flush (1-1.5 outs) or a backdoor straight (~1 out). So you've got about 2.5 outs, which means you need to be getting about 1:19 to continue.

keikiwai
03-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Usually give yourself 1.5 outs for a backdoor straight w/ no gaps, 1 out for BDS w/ gap, and 1.5 for a backdoor flush. SSHE, pg 102 or so. (J high flush will win it most of the time, so it gets the full 1.5... in fact most flushes w/ both hole cards used will win most of the time even 23s, if only 1 hole card gets used it's a different story)...

Reason this straight gets 1.5 and not 1 outs, is that there are no gaps (QJT), would it be 9JQ it would only get 1 out.

So you give yourself 0 outs for J or T. 1.5 for straight and 1.5 for BDFD. 3 outs. You need 1:14.3 pot odds to call w/ this which you clearly don't have, so you fold.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif