PDA

View Full Version : Sump pump advice

pokerjo22
03-25-2005, 10:54 PM
*warning* very dull post ahead

I am trying to make my basement habitable so I can rent it out. There is a kitchen in there, but it has a sump pump because it is below sewer level. Anyway, there is bad smell coming from the sump pump. Also one of the pipes coming out of the top of the sump pump doesn't go anywhere. I'm pretty sure that it should go somewhere. Its a longshot, but I don't suppose any of you geniuses knows anything about sump pumps?

astroglide
03-25-2005, 11:00 PM
having fun with that mortgage? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

IndieMatty
03-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Sears Hardware, Commission Hardware Sales, Massapequa Park, NY. 1994-1999.

Oh umm, one of those pipes should be directed at a drainage area. A bad smell? Thats more likely mold or is it smokey? A new sump pump runs anywhere from 45-200 bucks and even more for real industrial ones. But it may be worth the investment to get a new one.

Leo99
03-25-2005, 11:19 PM
go post at BObvila.com under fixit for em. (fix it forum) It doesn't sound like the sump pump in my basement. Mine pumps out rain water. The pipe going nowhere sounds like a vent pipe and it will stink. Vent it all the way to the roof or at least outside.

JGalt
03-25-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
go post at BObvila.com under fixit for em. (fix it forum) It doesn't sound like the sump pump in my basement. Mine pumps out rain water. The pipe going nowhere sounds like a vent pipe and it will stink. Vent it all the way to the roof or at least outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, sounds like a vent pipe. Would account for the smell and should be vented to the exterior (usually the roof). You should really have this checked out, I am not familiar with sump pumps but if this is a vent pipe the fumes are noxious and very bad to have in the home.

Good luck

03-26-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't suppose any of you geniuses knows anything about sump pumps?

[/ QUOTE ]

When it comes to sump pumps, my dear, you are a moran.

wacki
03-26-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also one of the pipes coming out of the top of the sump pump doesn't go anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

We need pictures.

As for smell, you're not giving us enough information. Mold, sewage, musty, ets......

Concrete sealers are great. They will make your basement dry as a bone. I'm not talking about that thompsons stuff, that [censored] is crap. I'm talking about the stuff that soaks several inches into the concrete.

If you want more help, you have to post pics....

wacki

Transference
03-26-2005, 05:17 AM
Ive never heard of sump pumps requiring ventalation. Household pumps have two connections, one for water comming in and one for water going out. I would guess that extra pipe is most likely the remains of an old connection to the exterior that no one bothered to remove. The piping could have been rerouted for any number of reasons, it also could have once been drainage for somewhere else in the house (this would probably be against code).

The smell could be any number of things, but as water collects in the well its probably just all the gunk that can build up in old dirty rainwater. Getting in out can be a big job depending in the depth of the well. Bleach and water will kill collections of mold and mildew on the concrete, be aware that the pump itself will get pretty icky over time. Finally, you may have something clogged in the outlet pipe, probably some drain cleaner will help clear anything out but check with your retailer to make sure it will not harm the pump.

If you have a good hardware store near you that employs people who know their stuff you should get some good advice, taking pictures is a very good suggestion.

pokerjo22
03-26-2005, 01:07 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif unfortunately part of the plan was always to get a tenant in the basement. Shouldn't be too hard, as I'm pretty close to UC Berkeley.

pokerjo22
03-26-2005, 01:16 PM
OK, I think I've figured it out with my Readers Digest DIY book, and BobVilla.com

Its not really a sump pump, but an ejector pump, and yes, the extra pipe seems to be the vent. So my choice seems to be pay 900 bucks to get the thing vented to the roof, or have a basement that smells of poo /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Why can't I just have the vent pipe go straight out of the side of the house. Apparently thats not to 'code' - does anyone know why that matters?

Sorry - I'm a total n00b with housing matters.

Leo99
03-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Usually, it needs to vent above the roof line. You can take it outside and then up the outside of your house to just above the roof.

JGalt
03-26-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure if this is to code, but you may be able to connect the pipe to an existing vent. You should have it vented one way or another since the fumes are noxious.

"Unusual odors should never be ignored. Such odors are often an indication that sewer gas is present. Sewer gas, while not always deadly, is noxious and capable of causing headaches and other minor illnesses. Sewer gas is foul smelling air and should be prevented from entering the house."

pokerjo22
03-27-2005, 02:57 AM
I know many have been barely able to contain themselves wanting to know how my sump pump problems worked out.

Well my quote of $900 to fix the problem had depressed me more than somewhat, so I got myself down to Home Depot today.

This afternoon I managed to drill a wall in the side of my house, and fix some ABS tubing to the vent, and feed it up the side of the house to the roof. I strapped the tubing to the side of the house, but only half way up, as I got scared on the ladder. Anyway, it looks pretty secure.

So, no more poo smell, and it only cost me 40 bucks. Whatsmore I feel like I made $860! Thanks for the advice guys /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Transference
03-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Technically not adhering strictly to code is only really likely to cause a problem if your selling the house. An inspector will say thats a nono and require you to have it repaired before you get a stamp of approval. If your renting however violating code can get you into more trouble as there can be fairly serious repurcussions for risking the health of your tenants. If youve never rented before you might want to check out your local ordiances on the matter and be sure everything is up to snuff (you may want to consider hiring an inspector), many don't bother but its a good idea. Bottom line is spending a few dollars now is much better than facing a lawsuit down the road.

The building code is also practical in that there are generally legitmate safety issues involved. If you are unable to vent it all the way to roof level be sure that it is not placed in such a way that fumes can enter any household venting or be blown into an open window.

pokerjo22
03-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Well the problem with getting an inspector is that the entire basement isn't to code (the ceiling is too low), but that hasn't stopped it being rented out in the past. I'm going to consult with an attorney before I go into this, but my limited understanding is I'll have less problems if they can be considered 'roommates' as opposed to a tennant. But yeah, I don't want to be liable for them.

Boris
03-27-2005, 02:39 PM
You ever see The Money Pit?

willie
03-27-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why can't I just have the vent pipe go straight out of the side of the house. Apparently thats not to 'code' - does anyone know why that matters?

Sorry - I'm a total n00b with housing matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't mind workin my piping through your house....

zing.

nah, but really- do it by code. If you ever go to sell the place, you'll have to do it then so you may as well do it properly now.