PDA

View Full Version : Starting hands list

GLU
03-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Played my first hold'em last week, a pub down the road
has a no limit league. free entry, you play for pts.
A great forum for a newbie like myself to learn & have some fun. Reading Daves book HOLD'EM POKER he states the starting hands list would be substantially altered for no limit. Can someone point me to this altered list? Thanks

AtticusFinch
03-25-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Played my first hold'em last week, a pub down the road
has a no limit league. free entry, you play for pts.
A great forum for a newbie like myself to learn & have some fun. Reading Daves book HOLD'EM POKER he states the starting hands list would be substantially altered for no limit. Can someone point me to this altered list? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, welcome. To answer your question, there is no one list of starting hands, because hand valuations change significantly based on a wide variety of factors, especially in tourneys.

Your best bet is to read these forums, and a couple of No-limit books to get an understanding of the game. I'd recommend:

No Limit Hold'em, by McEvoy and Daugherty
Harrington on Hold'em, by Dan Harrington

The first is better for a complete beginner. The second is a much better book overall, but familiarize yourself with the game, first.

Once you have a taste for basic ideas, go to this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post2003271) and read every thread listed there. Then scour the archives of this forum and the single table forum. Read lots of posts by MLG, Adanthar, Irieguy, Che, fnord_too, Strassa, ChrisV, gigabet, and Phil Van Sexton, just to name a few. (There are many other great posters here, so please no flames if your name is not on this list.)

And if manage to do all that, you'll know you have the dedication needed to succeed long term at this game.

Good luck to you.