imported_stealthcow
03-25-2005, 10:21 PM
posting for my roomate:

25nl, pokerroom

hero is lp

preflop 3 limpers to him he limps with AJo one limper behind and

blinds come along

flop As 2d 3d

checked to hero, who overbets pot to $3. one caller from button(villain).

turn Ah

hero bets pot ($7), villain calls.

river 5s

hero checks, villain moves all in for $14

hows his line so far and your play? pot is ~$20

thanks

stealthcow-

bweiser8311962
03-25-2005, 10:28 PM
i'd say fold. yeah, you have 3 aces, but any 4 makes a straight and it wouldn't shock me if he had pocket 5s.

ClaytonN
03-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Raise preflop. This solves a lot of issues.

From there, bet appropriately.

ClaytonN
03-25-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd say fold. yeah, you have 3 aces, but any 4 makes a straight and it wouldn't shock me if he had pocket 5s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I don't mean to be a dick here, but!

Please stop giving bad advice. This goes back to that preposterous post you made about hitting the set and folding.

If you're gonna give advice, have some merit.

crazygoose
03-26-2005, 01:35 AM
does everyone agree raising with AJo in LP with that many limpers to you?
generally i only raise premium hands preflop in nl.

redsoxsox
03-26-2005, 01:37 AM
Ill raise a lot more hands in Late position. This helps me a lot in situations.

Los Feliz Slim
03-26-2005, 01:38 AM
I'm sure that I play this very similarly and call the river bet. But, as I've mentioned before, I am an idiot.

ClaytonN
03-26-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LP LP LP LP LP LP LP

xorbie
03-26-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes it horrifically easy to read you.

SynSid
03-26-2005, 06:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a number of very good reasons to be raising AJ in LP when there's a bunch of limpers:

1) To get the button.
2) To flush out any slow-played AA/KK now rather than pay them off on every street if a J-high flop comes.
3) To greatly increase the chance that your A and J are clean outs. With a bunch of limpers there may well be a fair few Ax, Axs, JT, J9 hands in there - which although worse hands than yours can easily make 2 pairs on a J high flop. Whereas some people will limp these, nowhere near so many will then call your 7-10 BB raise (which is the sort of size raise youd be making with a bunch of limpers I guess).
4) It gives you much more folding equity if you decide to fire at a flop which missed you completely after it's checked to you.
5) You may, of course, just take the pot down uncontested pre-flop.
6) As the previous poster alreasy mentioned, it makes you less predictable and disguises your true monster hands.

gulebjorn
03-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I'd always call this. Yes, the 4 might be out there, but there's nothing you can do when someone chases his 4-outer through pot sized bets on two streets. A5, A2, A3 or pocket 3's, 5's and 2's is also very possible though.
As for raising in LP with AJo, i'd say that it depends what you plan on doing with the hand on the flop. If you want to play it against a large field for implied odds and try to hit the flop hard or get out of the hand, don't raise. If you wanna limit the field and try to take down the pot on the flop no matter what cards hit the board, raise. I tend to think AJ is a little to easily dominated to be raising into a bunch of limpers, but maybe i'm just weak /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If my logic on the raising AJo part is off, please correct. Just my personal view.

SCfuji
03-26-2005, 07:26 AM
ive read some posts about a blocking bet. is that a viable option for hero on this river? if you think so, how much would be right?

i think this is how i would have played the hand.

F: i dont like pumping the pot so much with that flop bet. a bet half the size would do the trick for me.

T: with any card that seems to help me more than the villain i think i bet about 3 on the turn, but i will be suspicious if the villain smooth calls me again when a somewhat mutually helpful card comes. hes either sandbagging a boat, the other ace, or a dimaond draw.

i think i bet about 5 on the river to test the villain. if he shoves everything in i probably fold (is that weak poker?). i can see something like A4s/22/33 in his hand.

is this poor advice? im not good at nl /images/graemlins/frown.gif

zaxx19
03-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Im not thrilled about raising with AJo here.......

Alot of limpers and people limp with AQ sometimes and get pretty stubborn with it.

If you are an active LAG type I think its an autoraise .......

If its suited I probably raise also. Its a marginal play I think the people that act as if IT NEEDS TO BE RAISED are either LAG's (which is fine) play primarily 6 man(then its correct) or just a bit wrong here.

As for the river you are pot stuck and need to call it down dont fold this hand here.