PDA

View Full Version : Free card play?

Brom
03-25-2005, 06:23 PM
So I take this free card play the other night and I wanted to know what others thought of it.

It's my third round at the table and I have no reads thus far. I am not on my home computer so no PokerTracker. UTG has raised in that position the last two rounds but hasn't made it to a showdown yet. This is the first hand I've played other than a blind steal defense.

When I decided to take the card on the turn, I figured that I was either really far ahead or behind. If I'm ahead, then my opponent is only drawing to 2 or 4 outs, and if I'm behind, then I'm only drawing to 2 outs. Either way I thought that a free card couldn't hurt me much/help me a lot. If I had bet the turn and got checkraised then I think I'd have to lay down as my opponent didn't seem too tricky, not to mention that I'd feel like and idiot if I called down 3 big bets to see that I'm a loser when I could have had a free draw and a showdown for one. The only downside that I could see is if my opponent had specifically a Jack or QQ in his hand, in which case I probably missed a bet (although QQ seems unlikely due to a lack of a preflop cap).

I was also looking for some input on the line I chose. I considered smooth calling on the flop then raising the turn. I figured with the line I chose though, that if I was ahead he'd fold to that turn raise and I'd win one small bet less then I did. And if I was behind I'd get three bet, have to fold and miss my chance at outdrawing him. Thoughts/comments on the hand?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.33 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.33 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.33 BB