PDA

View Full Version : What to do here?

Arnfinn Madsen
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi,
Just before entering final table in a MTT(they had sat down but were not in hand) I came into the following situation:

Blinds 1,500/3000
Stacks:
Villain (UTG) 82,466
Hero 32,904
SB 42,486
BB 65,315

Action:
Hero dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Villain limps
hero raise to 12,000 (considered a push but also a good hand to be in last position with on flop)
SB folds
BB folds
Villain calls (we had been sitting at the same table for quite some time and I knew he considered me aggressive. he limped a lot.)
Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Villain checks
What to do?

skoal2k4
03-25-2005, 05:12 PM
I follow through and push... you've already put close to half your stack in and that flop more than likely didn't help villian either

MLG
03-25-2005, 05:12 PM
I'd raise to 9000 preflop here. I think pushing is better than raising to 12000. On the flop I think you're pretty committed to pushing.

Arnfinn Madsen
03-25-2005, 05:16 PM
If you had raised to 9,000 preflop. Would you then still have pushed on the flop (or did I cross some line with 12,000)?

MLG
03-25-2005, 05:19 PM
I think I push either way. If he folds 2/3 the time you are making a good deal of sklansky bucks.

Arnfinn Madsen
03-25-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I push either way. If he folds 2/3 the time you are making a good deal of sklansky bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there actually any kind of flop which I will not push on if he checks?

MLG
03-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Nope, except for maybe flopping trips, or 2 pair or a straight or something. Ideally, I would like to check behind if I hit an A, but that would mean I would also have to check behind sometimes when I miss. By raising less than all-in here preflop I've created a big enough pot on the flop that I really want to take it down, so I don't want to be checking when I miss. That's why I think a push preflop is probably the best play.

Arnfinn Madsen
03-25-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nope, except for maybe flopping trips, or 2 pair or a straight or something. Ideally, I would like to check behind if I hit an A, but that would mean I would also have to check behind sometimes when I miss. By raising less than all-in here preflop I've created a big enough pot on the flop that I really want to take it down, so I don't want to be checking when I miss. That's why I think a push preflop is probably the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pushed as I too think is best in the situation. What got me thinking afterwards is that Villain had watched me push in many similar situations and therefore gets some kind of implied odds to call preflop. If he hits the flop he can just check and put me all-in. If he misses he can check and fold to the all-in. Based on that table image (not very good image to have) I think only a push preflop makes sense.