PDA

View Full Version : another bonds post

JaBlue
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
So it seems that everyone here has all ready agreed that barry bonds is/was on roids. What documentation proves this? Why do people believe it, other than his incredible results and physique at his age, or is that just why people think he's on roids?

Seems like the only evidence is the calibur of his athleticism, and if that's true, than I'll just say two words: Lance Armstrong

pshreck
03-25-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seems like the only evidence is the calibur of his athleticism

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about?

Have you not seen the pictures?

Do you know anyone else who has had their head grow as an adult?

Did you hear him admit to using The Cream and The Clear? (Both steroids).

ttleistdci
03-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Everything, including statements from Bonds himself, points to him using steroids.
Is Jose Canseco gonna hafta write another book before people realize this?

jesusarenque
03-25-2005, 05:14 PM
The better question is, even if he did, who cares? There is little to no evidence to show that steriods even help performance. It is at least as possible that steroids hinder rather than help, considering the numerous injuries that admitted steroid users like Conseco and Caminiti suffered during their careers.

Benholio
03-25-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So it seems that everyone here has all ready agreed that barry bonds is/was on roids. What documentation proves this? Why do people believe it, other than his incredible results and physique at his age, or is that just why people think he's on roids?

Seems like the only evidence is the calibur of his athleticism, and if that's true, than I'll just say two words: Lance Armstrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, mainly from the whole BALCO fiasco. Here is a summary and some links (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1937594).

Barry's story is that all the 'roids he took, he thought it was freakin ben-gay or something. Nobody told him it was steroids! Honest!

I remember when Gary Sheffield came to Atlanta, he said he worked out with Barry the offseason before, and he destroyed the ball when he got here. He's been quoted as saying he received 2 or 3 different types of steroids from Barry during their offseason workouts.

pshreck
03-25-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Barry's story is that all the 'roids he took, he thought it was freakin ben-gay or something. Nobody told him it was steroids! Honest!

[/ QUOTE ]

My uncle put it best... "He just thought he was using some tylenol that cost a few thousand bucks."

Voltron87
03-25-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The better question is, even if he did, who cares? There is little to no evidence to show that steriods even help performance. It is at least as possible that steroids hinder rather than help, considering the numerous injuries that admitted steroid users like Conseco and Caminiti suffered during their careers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steroids do cause an increase in injuries, but there is no debate over whether they are beneficial to hitters.

ttleistdci
03-25-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The better question is, even if he did, who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

jesusarenque
03-25-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Steroids do cause an increase in injuries, but there is no debate over whether they are beneficial to hitters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? No debate? I haven't seen any hard evidence that steroids help hitters.

jesusarenque
03-25-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Please explain why you care.

ttleistdci
03-25-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could sit here all day and list reasons why. Near the top of my list is that they've esentially cheapened baseball. We went from drooling every year, starting at the all-star break, when someone flirted with the home run record. Now, when someone hits 50, it's pretty much shrugged off as average.
Take the * away from Maris and put it next to Bonds, please.

Soul Daddy
03-25-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly couldn't care less. I am of the belief that so many players have been on them in the past decade that castigating the few superstars we suspect/confirm is ridiculous. We'll likely never know the full extent of their penetration into the game.

jesusarenque
03-25-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could sit here all day and list reasons why. Near the top of my list is that they've esentially cheapened baseball. We went from drooling every year, starting at the all-star break, when someone flirted with the home run record. Now, when someone hits 50, it's pretty much shrugged off as average.
Take the * away from Maris and put it next to Bonds, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wel, put an asterisk next to Ruth: he never played against black players. Same goes for Walter Johnson. Oh yeah, and put an asterisk next to everyone who played from 1941-1945: many great players were off serving in WWII. Also, Rollie Fingers gets an asterisk: he used the spitball. Should we throw him out of the Hall? The point is, every era of baseball has its advantages and disadvantages. There is no evidence that steroids provide a bigger advantage than anything else.

Also, why has nobody been talking about pitchers here? If steroid use is that common, pitchers must be doing it too. Look at all the pitchers throwing 95+. That used to be special, and now it's pretty common. Look and Johnson, Clemens, Wells, etc. These guys are pitching successfully into their 40s. Is that not strange. If you claim hitters are given unfair advantages by using steroids, isn't at least some of that advantage lessened by the fact they have to face juiced pitchers?

Jack of Arcades
03-25-2005, 05:49 PM
It's not like it'll matter in 20 years anyway.

jesusarenque
03-25-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not like it'll matter in 20 years anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. In 20 years nobody will really care.

Jack of Arcades
03-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Case in point. Nobody cares about how much an ass Ted Williams was. Hell, nobody cares about Frank Thomas anymore.

JaBlue
03-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks Benholio, this is exactly what I was looking for.