PDA

View Full Version : Designer babies are being debated in England.

wacki
03-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Once this line is crossed our world will be forever changed. For this decision will set in motion a wheel that can not be stopped. The fact that this specific committee is split on this subject is very telling of how close we are. This decision is much more important than it seems at first glance because we are talking about changing genetics for reasons other than disease. That is a very important distinction.

Designer Babies in England (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-03-24T102544Z_01_DEN437380_RTRUKOC_0_SCIENCE-BRITAIN-FERTILITY.xml)

LONDON (Reuters) - Plans to allow parents undergoing fertility treatment to choose the sex of their unborn baby have split an influential group of lawmakers and have reignited the debate over "designer babies".

Couples should be able to decide the gender of the embryo being implanted, parliament's cross-party Science and Technology Committee said in a report published Thursday.

But half of the committee's 11 members rejected the findings as "unbalanced and light on ethics".

Critics say sex selection would turn unborn babies into "consumer items" and could pave the way for parents choosing other characteristics such as hair or eye colour.

"The use and destruction of embryos does raise ethical issues and there are grounds for caution," the report concluded, but added: "On balance we find no adequate justification for prohibiting the use of sex selection for family balancing."

The onus should be on opponents of sex selection for social reasons to show harm from its use, the report said.

The committee said regulators should lose their powers because they could see "no role" for them in determining how an embryo is screened before being implanted into a woman's womb.

The report, which makes recommendations into the future of Britain's 15-year-old fertility laws, also said controversial research, such as implanting human cells into animals, should be considered subject to regulation.

Under current law, sex selection is allowed if there is a risk of gender-linked disease such as muscular dystrophy or haemophilia.

A number of recent cases have tested those legal boundaries and provoked a heated ethical debate on the merits and pitfalls of embryo selection.

Committee chairman Ian Gibson, from the Labour Party, denied the report backed the creation of "designer babies" or allowing parents to choose hair or eye colour.

"We are looking at the regulation of new technologies," he told Reuters. "We back proper investigation into the sex selection process."

But five parliamentarians on the committee distanced themselves from the report.

"We believe this report is unbalanced, light on ethics, goes too far in the direction of deregulation and is too dismissive of public opinion and much of the evidence," they said in a statement.

Opponents of gender selection say it will inevitably open a new era of parents choosing babies' other characteristics.

"Social sex selection should not be allowed, because it turns children into consumer items and allows gender stereotypes to determine who gets born," said Dr David King, director of campaign group Human Genetics Alert.

"It will throw the door to designer babies wide open."

Anti-cloning group Comment on Reproductive Ethics compared gender selection to the world of designer babies envisioned in Aldous Huxley's 1932 novel "Brave New World".

AngryCola
03-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Inevitable

wacki
03-25-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Inevitable

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I think this article shows that it's going to be sooner rather than later.

AngryCola
03-25-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True, but I think this article shows that it's going to be sooner rather than later.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will start small, as most everything like this does.
But it will fundamentally change the human species in around ten years.

Combine that with the beginnings of cybernetic enhancements, and you've got several B movies on your hands.

It should be fun.

HDPM
03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Yep, should be fun. And really, what is there to lose? People are crap. Any improvement is welcome.

This Post dedicated to Zeno. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

natedogg
03-25-2005, 09:44 PM
This decision is much more important than it seems at first glance because we are talking about changing genetics for reasons other than disease. That is a very important distinction.

Really? Why? Who decides what is a disease or defect that is ok to modify with genetic engineering or not? If I take a pill like Prozac to become happy or I just modify the genes that control my chemistry, what exactly is the difference?

natedogg

natedogg
03-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Social sex selection should not be allowed, because it turns children into consumer items and allows gender stereotypes to determine who gets born," said Dr David King, director of campaign group Human Genetics Alert.

These guys are a bunch of jerkoffs.

http://www.hgalert.org/whatsnew/pgdcommentary.html

natedogg

Zeno
03-26-2005, 03:42 AM
We, as a species, are in a sense, starting to determine our own evolution. The 'natural selection driver' is now less random. Consequences?

Of course, in a holistic sense this is all natural - humans are just one species on a single planet. So perhaps it is inevitable that we evolve to a point that we begin to take control of our own evolution.

God is finally dead. That’s the root of the fear displayed by many people.

-Zeno

Zeno
03-26-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People are crap. Any improvement is welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

¡Olé!

-Zeno

Thanks for the 'dedication' - I think. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wacki
03-26-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I take a pill like Prozac to become happy or I just modify the genes that control my chemistry, what exactly is the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depression is considered a defect. That doesn't cross the line according to moral philosophers. There is no difference between pills and genetic treatment in that case.

As for the rest of your questions, just think about it for a day or to. If you still don't understand, get back to me.

wacki
03-26-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So perhaps it is inevitable that we evolve to a point that we begin to take control of our own evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but based on my personal experiences, I didn't expect to see this happen so soon. Looks like Europe might move ahead of us and America will swiftly change their stance in fear of being left behind.

[ QUOTE ]
God is finally dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some can view it that way, but even as an agnostic, I don't. Science (big bang) and religion (god) both have significant weaknesses in their origin of the universe arguement IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
That’s the root of the fear displayed by many people

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

natedogg
03-27-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I take a pill like Prozac to become happy or I just modify the genes that control my chemistry, what exactly is the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depression is considered a defect. That doesn't cross the line according to moral philosophers. There is no difference between pills and genetic treatment in that case.

As for the rest of your questions, just think about it for a day or to. If you still don't understand, get back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand.

natedogg