PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right?

ghostpoker
03-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Second hand of a home tourney, 8 players, blinds $5, $10, all players have $5000 in chips (+/- $15-$50). Extremely loose passive game.

5 limpers pot is $50

Hero bb 77 raises $100, all call pot is $900.

Flop 753 rainbow I think about all in but knowing my loose opponents I bet $500 to find out where I'm at.

Calling Station to my left raises to $1000, I put him on an under set or two pair, he would have smooth called the straight. 3 more fold, Loose player calls.

I call knowing that one of them has a straight and one has an under set or two pair. I know there is no way to push them out of the pot. I know if the board pairs I will bust two people, but I also know some of my outs are gone. Pot is $3900 3 way action.

Turn J 4th suit.

I check hoping to get a cheap draw out of the passive players. Player to my left underbets $500, Other player calls, I call. Pot is $5400 3 way action.

River K

I check, player to my left goes all in for remaining $3450, Other player calls, pot is $12300, all in for me to call. Since all the action is in the pot and to me I fold face up telling the table what I think both players have.

Player to my left turns up a set of fives and other player turns up 46 for the straight. I feel like I won even though I lost $1650.

I chose not to play the hand aggressively based on my read and my expected outcome of busting both players had a pair hit. Neither player is sophisticated enough to be frightened by a pair up.

Should I have dumped this earlier, or should I have played it harder, or was this correct to play the cheap draw based on the opponents style.

morgan180
03-25-2005, 04:16 PM
invite the guy that called a 10x BB raise with 46 to more games?

also you might want to consider relooking at your blind levels (5/10 blinds with 5k starting stacks is really low)

finally - on the hand itself - if you think the game is super loose keep the pot smaller PF by limping with your 77, if a 10x bb raise isn't going to get anyone out, just keep your chips in your stack PF. then the pot is just 60 chips instead of 900 and you can work from there.

ghostpoker
03-25-2005, 04:41 PM
1. You would think inviting them all to games would be very profitable, but the bad players in large groups phenomeneon takes over. I would love to get them in a cash game.
2. We usually play with 2-3k to start. On that night I wanted to experiment on the effect of a larger stack on being able to withstand the suckouts deeper into the game and to give the bad players more rope to hang themselves with. However it just ended up giving them more to make bad calls and suckout with.

I like your idea of just limping. I guess that leads me to another question. Is that the best way to beat a game full of weak loose passive players, just keep your ammo in reserve until you have a decided advantage rather than trying to put plays on them?

microbet
03-25-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. You would think inviting them all to games would be very profitable, but the bad players in large groups phenomeneon takes over. I would love to get them in a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'bad players in large groups phenomenon' is 'good players winning a lot of money'. Play the free tables for a while and if you can't crush them I'd be surprised.

[ QUOTE ]
2. We usually play with 2-3k to start. On that night I wanted to experiment on the effect of a larger stack on being able to withstand the suckouts deeper into the game and to give the bad players more rope to hang themselves with. However it just ended up giving them more to make bad calls and suckout with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little blinds should be great for a good player in this game. Big blinds are good for stealing if it is a tight/scared table.

[ QUOTE ]
I like your idea of just limping. I guess that leads me to another question. Is that the best way to beat a game full of weak loose passive players, just keep your ammo in reserve until you have a decided advantage rather than trying to put plays on them?

[/ QUOTE ]

With opponants this loose, keep it as cheap as possible until you have the nuts. Just don't try and export that strategy into just about any other game. The fact that you weren't a bit surprised by 46 calling a big raise preflop says it all.

morgan180
03-25-2005, 06:10 PM
that's how i play my loose/passive home game - i'm in a ton of pots for cheap and bet the nuts hard but don't try to "outplay" my opponents who are going to call down once they have 1st or 2nd pair. the problem with this is that it takes me about an hour of online play to get back in to the mode for online and by then i've lost 2 sngs.