PDA

View Full Version : Example of aggression paying off

A_PLUS
03-25-2005, 03:50 PM
When I first started playing MTTs, I was like most players. Anything past the 1st hour was a good game for me. Then I unfortunately read TJs book. This led to me finishing just in the money quite a few times. At the time, this was such a huge improvement, I thought I had found the way. I gave up on MTTs for a long time and expanded my game and knowledge of poker through ring games, and countless hours on these forums. So now I am back to MTTs, and needless to say with the TJ strategy long gone.

So, I wanted to post two hands that I played last night, that I would have played much differently 2 years ago, that meant the difference between a final table and a near buble finish in a UB 30$ MTT.

Hand one:
Player who I have marked as tight pre-flop and flop. (so important to know how players play these two situations), leads out for 3XBB and 20% of my stack with 40 players left (50 pay), I am on the button. I figure if he misses his high card, or an over card comes, the pot is mine. So I call with JTs. Flop comes Q 7 3 rainbow, he checks, I bet the pot and he folds and shows a pair of 10s.

Hand two.
We are at 21 players, with a pay jump at 19. A player below the avereage who I think is pretty tight preflop and VERY tight post bets 2X the BB. I decide to go for the stop and go with a 55.I am the SB with 55. I call. flop is TT4. I lead for his stack. He folds, then gets busted a few hands later and admits he had 88.

Just minor exampels, but I hope it helps someone.

Flop comes

PktAcesSoWht
03-25-2005, 04:29 PM
would you say that this was an application of the principle of Fold Equity in action?

Tim H
03-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Header should read = Aggression + Reads pays off

If he really had 88 in hand 2 he couldn't have asked for a better flop to get his chips in (besides hitting his set).
I play extremely tight pre-final table and even I would call that.

LethalRose
03-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Here's another one...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t9450)
UTG (t4910)
UTG+1 (t3390)
MP1 (t4396)
MP2 (t1394)
Hero (t22545)
Button (t5026)
SB (t8889)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t700.

Flop: (t2150) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1500</font>, BB calls t1500.

Turn: (t5150) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t7000</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t12150

In this hand the villian was very weak tight and often played timidly with very strong hands. He was a lot like me a few years ago..always fearing the nuts.

On the flop his call told me he was looking for an ace or king or thinking i had a 10. on the Turn i threw out a bet putthing him all in, making it look like i wanted him to call.

if you have a deep stack making plays like this is very important.