PDA

View Full Version : US Poker Championship

Poker_God
03-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Do you think it was right for someone like Josh Arieh to run his mouth during a hand telling Todo to hurry up seeing as Josh wasnt in this hand. I mean i have no respect for someone like Josh and Tony G. I would love the opportunity to be able to just cuss him out for saying something when he is not even in the hand. Just wondering on your thoughts about table manners. Also does anyone know when they are going to show the final table episode???

Indiana
03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
didn't really like it too much either...Josh is always like that...Did you see how long he took with that stupid flush draw on the turn...really, would anybody call that??/

Indiana

Poker_God
03-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I agree completely, me and my wife were sitting there yelling at the TV going come on josh whats taking so long...lol...yeah we get bored and yell at inanimate objects.

ClaytonN
03-25-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
didn't really like it too much either...Josh is always like that...Did you see how long he took with that stupid flush draw on the turn...really, would anybody call that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the WSOP and that hand vs. Demtriueu (sp)? Because that's an easy answer.

starvs
03-25-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
didn't really like it too much either...Josh is always like that...Did you see how long he took with that stupid flush draw on the turn...really, would anybody call that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the WSOP and that hand vs. Demtriueu (sp)? Because that's an easy answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is referring to the hand shown on the USPC broadcast were Arieh had 4d5d and picked up a flush draw on the turn.

Kashie
03-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Josh A is just that, a not, very nice, A**.

He has shown to be like this, time and time again.

He doesn't care, no use even mentioning it.

ClaytonN
03-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Okay, thanks. I had not seen this episode in question. I started watching when Howard sucked the TT vs. the JJ.

jennicide
03-25-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, share your personal experience with him and how you came to this conclusion!

Beavis68
03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, share your personal experience with him and how you came to this conclusion!

[/ QUOTE ]

By watching him be an ass on TV time and time again.

ESPN can't make you look like an ass unless you are being one.

ClaytonN
03-25-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incredibly ignorant.

willie
03-25-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zuluking
03-25-2005, 10:13 PM
I saw so many mistakes made by the announcers that I turned off the tv. Terrible, terrible coverage.

wjmooner
03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
I've got Beavis' back on this one. Now, it is true that TV can portray people in a different light. I think it is obvious that Josh Arieh is a good guy when he's away from the table, since everyone who interacts with him away from the table says so.

However, I think Josh's competitive fire turns him into a jerk while at the poker table. I'm not sure this is really a bad thing for his poker game, as some of the best at their sport are complete jerks while competing but gentlemen off the court (Michael Jordan for one). The difference is that poker requires human interaction, at least live, so players are placed under greater scrutiny than others engaged in competitive endeavors.

But let's stop defending Josh Arieh because he's a great guy away from the table. Somewhere along the way it becomes impossible to reach any other conclusion but that Josh actually is a jerk at the poker table. I think we've reached that point.

WJ

Beavis68
03-25-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you are, are you saying that ESPN created him berating whats his name in the Harry D? They invented him and Todo?

Don't be a complete shill. He acted how he acted. I dont care what he whispered to someone in the crowd, I care what he said to peoples faces.

Wow, his friends say he is great away from the table and is nice as long as you dont piss him off, so what?

Get your dick out of his ass.

If you are gonna pop-off, back it up jack-ass.

Scooterdoo
03-25-2005, 11:55 PM
I was playing a NL Tournament at the LA Poker Classic and we were fairly late and I came over the top of a steal-raise from a button player with an all-in while holding TT. The guy went into the tank and Sam Grizzle called the clock on him. I didn't say anything, but I was really pissed because I felt it could effect his decision -- didn't really know if I wanted a call or not, but still it was very annoying. The guy folded. I spoke to Sam during a break and told him the move showed poor sportsmanship, especially since many other players had taken much longer than this guy and nobody called time on them. He was drinking quite a bit, so his senses were somewhat impaired and perhaps this contributed to the call for time <g>.

-Skeme-
03-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Lol. Complaining to a drunk Sam Grizzle is on the top of the list of things I'd never do.

Chaos81
03-26-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I care what he said to peoples faces.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you care in the first place? If he's an ass, he's an ass. So what, get over yourself.
[ QUOTE ]

Wow, his friends say he is great away from the table and is nice as long as you dont piss him off, so what?

[/ QUOTE ]
So because he said a few things on TV, that of course ESPN is going to show, you think he's an ass? For all you know he is a nice guy. Do you really think ESPN is going to show that? Nope, because it doesn't make good TV.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Back what up? You being ignorant? You said ESPN can't make you look like an ass unless you are being one. Please, please tell me you really don't believe that. Because if you do, his statement was correct.

Beavis68
03-26-2005, 12:45 AM
No, his statement was not correct, ESPN cannot put words into someones mouths, they cant put expressions on their faces, they can feature it and play it up, but that is all.

You think Josh didnt berrate Harry D, he didnt interfere with Todo?

Grow up.

Beavis68
03-26-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got Beavis' back on this one. Now, it is true that TV can portray people in a different light. I think it is obvious that Josh Arieh is a good guy when he's away from the table, since everyone who interacts with him away from the table says so.

However, I think Josh's competitive fire turns him into a jerk while at the poker table. I'm not sure this is really a bad thing for his poker game, as some of the best at their sport are complete jerks while competing but gentlemen off the court (Michael Jordan for one). The difference is that poker requires human interaction, at least live, so players are placed under greater scrutiny than others engaged in competitive endeavors.

But let's stop defending Josh Arieh because he's a great guy away from the table. Somewhere along the way it becomes impossible to reach any other conclusion but that Josh actually is a jerk at the poker table. I think we've reached that point.

WJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put, and I don't hate Josh either, I don't play live because I would probably act worse than he does.

Chaos81
03-26-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did I ever say he didn't? "Rereading what I posted..." Nope, didn't say that. So WTF does that have to do with what I said?

Ask anyone that has ever been in tv, or even on the radio for that matter. They can make you look however they want.

Look at it this way. If a person says two things that are out of place, you are only on tv those two times, but 500 other times you are respectable, how do you think tv makes you look? Even though it might not be true.

Sort of like our posts here, I see you as an ass, you see me as an ass, you see the other guy as an ass, but does that mean we are?

Hell, even Greg said that Josh and him talked and everything was okay.

jennicide
03-26-2005, 06:35 AM
Because I know Josh does not post here and has, of course, heard it enough from people about his appearance on the WSOP and I suppose it is going to happen again since his comments to Toto, I will post POSITIVE comments about someone I have met, spoke with, and played with on several occasions.

Josh is a very aggressive yet intelligent player. He does have a 'method' to his madness. He senses weakness, his opponent is crippled. On a personal level, he's an all around nice guy. When I sat with him at a side event during the Bellagio Five-Diamond, having met him the first time in person after playing with him on numerous occasions online, in nature, he was very charasmatic.

We all have our 'quarks' and maybe Josh was getting a bit annoyed with Toto taking so much time? Remember, this taping is EDITED. Therefore, ESPN will show what they want. They love controversy and making people look like jerks. How many times in between the featured table did they show someone making a scene after being knocked out?

I think before some of you call respectable players names and degrade their character, take things into perspective and remember don't believe everything you see on T.V.

Rianna
03-26-2005, 07:23 AM
I have played with Josh and he's often rude, crude and insulting.

I feel his attitude is bad for TV poker, which if people accept it can do great things for a game many of us love.

Josh IMHO needs to grow up a bit and perhaps take a lesson in Class...it would benifit him and the TV audiance IMHO.

Just my opinion.

Rianna
03-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Played a lot with Sam in the 80's, should have seen him then, what a jerk. Seems to me he's mellowed a LOT.

At times, back then he was just about impossible to play with. Pug and the boys could take him but I couldn't.

Tyler Durden
03-26-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a NL Tournament at the LA Poker Classic and we were fairly late and I came over the top of a steal-raise from a button player with an all-in while holding TT. The guy went into the tank and Sam Grizzle called the clock on him. I didn't say anything, but I was really pissed because I felt it could effect his decision -- didn't really know if I wanted a call or not, but still it was very annoying. The guy folded. I spoke to Sam during a break and told him the move showed poor sportsmanship, especially since many other players had taken much longer than this guy and nobody called time on them. He was drinking quite a bit, so his senses were somewhat impaired and perhaps this contributed to the call for time <g>.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure Sam Grizzle was out of line here? If someone is taking an unusually long time to ponder a decision, any player can call the clock as they are under the strains of the clock also. If I'm shortstacked and feel someone is taking too long to make an easy decision or are trying too hard to save face I won't hesitate to call a clock on them to further my chance of seeing a playable hand before I go bust. Anyone agree/disagree?

belloc
03-26-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Played a lot with Sam in the 80's, should have seen him then, what a jerk. Seems to me he's mellowed a LOT.

At times, back then he was just about impossible to play with. Pug and the boys could take him but I couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think Sam was bad? You should have seen Johnny Moss in the '50s. Man! Me and Doyle really couldn't stand the guy, but Slim knew it was just the way he was at the table. The Greek was even worse though...

AJo Go All In
03-26-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We all have our 'quarks' and maybe Josh was getting a bit annoyed with Toto taking so much time?

[/ QUOTE ]

please. the guy is a professional poker player.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, this taping is EDITED. Therefore, ESPN will show what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh it's EDITED. thanks professor. i'm not doubting that they have an interest in showing josh acting classlessly. of course they do. but, josh has to act classlessly for them to show it. it's one thing to call the clock, but to berate the guy like that is out of line in my opinion.

Scooterdoo
03-26-2005, 12:42 PM
It was definitely inappropriate. There were many hands played at the table where players would take minutes to make a decision and nobody said anything. In those cases it was usually well known pros and nobody said anything. In this case it was an older inexperienced guy and he wasn't taking that long when Sam called the clock. Believe me, I would not have said anything to him if it wasn't completely out of place -- I usually let things go. Hey, if he wanted to do it consistently or to do it when he was in the hand, that's fine, but this time it was not the right thing to do. He was pretty drunk and annoying, but most of the night he didn't step over the line. He was raising almost every hand and in one hand in particular it actually cost me getting into the money when I lost almost my entire stack to Surrinder Sunar. I finished in 30th place. The tournament paid 27! If anyone is interested I'll post the hand. Otherwise I'm happy to forget it.

Shanemex
03-26-2005, 09:51 PM
I was just watching the first episode of this on Tivo and saw something funny. On the hand where Erick Lindgren gets knocked out they have a camera angle where the back of his shirt is clearly visible. The shirt is an ad for www.firenormanchad.com. (http://www.firenormanchad.com) Norman was pretty quiet during the call of this hand so I wonder if he saw it too.

lighterjobs
03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just watching the first episode of this on Tivo and saw something funny. On the hand where Erick Lindgren gets knocked out they have a camera angle where the back of his shirt is clearly visible. The shirt is an ad for www.firenormanchad.com. (http://www.firenormanchad.com) Norman was pretty quiet during the call of this hand so I wonder if he saw it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's pretty damn hilarious.

Beavis68
03-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Michael Konik is the one I hate, I love it when he tells howard how a hand should be played.

Beavis68
03-26-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because I know Josh does not post here and has, of course, heard it enough from people about his appearance on the WSOP and I suppose it is going to happen again since his comments to Toto, I will post POSITIVE comments about someone I have met, spoke with, and played with on several occasions.

Josh is a very aggressive yet intelligent player. He does have a 'method' to his madness. He senses weakness, his opponent is crippled. On a personal level, he's an all around nice guy. When I sat with him at a side event during the Bellagio Five-Diamond, having met him the first time in person after playing with him on numerous occasions online, in nature, he was very charasmatic.

We all have our 'quarks' and maybe Josh was getting a bit annoyed with Toto taking so much time? Remember, this taping is EDITED. Therefore, ESPN will show what they want. They love controversy and making people look like jerks. How many times in between the featured table did they show someone making a scene after being knocked out?

I think before some of you call respectable players names and degrade their character, take things into perspective and remember don't believe everything you see on T.V.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you sat with him and he was nice to you......

Good think you didnt piss him off.

slickpoppa
03-26-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We all have our 'quarks'

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we are all made up of subatomic particles

Shibby
03-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the hand if it's not too dramatic to reconstruct.

Your Mom
03-27-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did I ever say he didn't? "Rereading what I posted..." Nope, didn't say that. So WTF does that have to do with what I said?

Ask anyone that has ever been in tv, or even on the radio for that matter. They can make you look however they want.

Look at it this way. If a person says two things that are out of place, you are only on tv those two times, but 500 other times you are respectable, how do you think tv makes you look? Even though it might not be true.

Sort of like our posts here, I see you as an ass, you see me as an ass, you see the other guy as an ass, but does that mean we are?

Hell, even Greg said that Josh and him talked and everything was okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two times is two too many.

Prime Time
03-27-2005, 09:24 AM
I am posting this to share my personal experience w/ Josh.

Back in January, when I was knocked out of the WPT tourney in the Bahamas, I was in the pool w/ my 3-year-old daughter.
Josh happened to pop in w/ his daughter 20 minutes later, and started chatting w/ me.
I introduced myself to him by my screen name and described a situation in an On-line tournament where I had knocked him out.
He not only remembered playing w/ me, he remembered the hand, complemented my play, and said he was hoping to meet me. We had about an hour-long discussion in the pool, about advantage play and situations and he showed me total respect. Have to say I was impressed by him as a person as he did not have to talk to me, never mind making me feel good about my game, and he never would have known and probably never know that I just wrote something positive/nice about him.

Later
PGA71

Scooterdoo
03-27-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't mind seeing the hand if it's not too dramatic to reconstruct.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the $2.5k NL tournament at the Poker Classic. I get moved to a table with Sam, Surrinder, Tom McEnvoy. There are around 50-60 left out of 400 or so. The tournament pays 27, but my goal is always the final table. I have an average stack at the time. On one of the first hands at the table I fold and watch a hand that will affect me down the road. Surrinder and another aggressive player see a flop. It was raised preflop but I don't recall now who raised. The flop was something like AQT with two suited cards. Surrinder makes a pot sized raise and the other guy calls. A 3 comes on the turn and Surrinder makes another large raise for half his remaining stack and the other guy calls. The river brings a J, with no flush, and Surrinder takes a while to act and then pushes his remaining chips. The other guy has him covered but not by much. He takes several minutes to act and finally folds. Surrinder shows 63. It was a pretty impressive and bold play. The other guy never showed his hand, but I spoke to him later and he claims he had a strong A - so probably two pair.

Anyway, an hour or two later we're down to 40ish. I'm now an above average stack with 28k and 2nd or 3rd at the table. I'm in the BB with blinds of 400/800 with an ante (either 50 or 100). Sam is noticeably drunk at this point and is raising 50 percent of pots, often not looking at his cards. He also has come over the top of several large raises from other players and then showed stone cold bluffs as the opponents folded to his aggression.

Sam is in early position and raises to 2k. Surrinder calls and a 3rd player who is probably the most aggressive player at the table calls. I look down at 89o and called given the pot odds.

The flop was something like 279o. I think of raising or pushing right there with top pair / weak kicker, but decide to check and see if anyone else makes a play so that I can check-raise if it feels right based on their moves. Sam checks. Surrinder delays for a bit and then pushes. He has about 22k. The 3rd guy folds so it's on me. I spend quite a bit of time. First I figure that with me and Sam checking Surrinder is likely to push with any two cards based on the 63 play and other aggressive moves he's shown.

If he had an overpair to the 9 or A9 he would have raised preflop. He might have checked with 22, but he would have raised preflop with 77 or 99. Besides, if he just hit trips or two pair, why would he push now? Much better to raise hoping one of us would re-raise him. I decide that he does not want a call so what could he have. Perhaps overcards to the 9, a middle pair or even nothing. Is it possible that he has a 9. Sure, but if he does it's most likely a weak kicker. If I win this hand I will be one of the chip leaders and have a really good shot to make it far -- which I'm here for.

I finally decide to call. Sam folds and Surrinder shows about that I guessed -- unfortunately it was just a little better than I was hoping. He had 9T!

I didn't improve, but did manage to claw back from my 4-5k remaining. I lasted another hour or so. My bust-out hand was really a winner. I have about 10k left and there are 30-31 players left. At this point I am just trying to make the money. The blinds are something like 800-1600 with a 200 ante. I figure I need to survive another few orbits at the minimum so need to win at least one hand. The blinds are a few away from me and I look down at my first card and it's an ace. I push from early position. A late position player calls. He has KK. I have A6o. The flop hits me with AQ5. The turn is a blank. If I can survive the river I'm now over $20k again and can cruise into the money and have a shot at getting far. Of course he hits his K and I'm gone. Twelve hours of play and nothing. Oh, well!

TimTimSalabim
03-27-2005, 04:18 PM
I see that poker has reached the big time. It's no longer just a hole card cam, it's the "Castrol GTX Hole Card Cam" /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

bweiser8311962
03-30-2005, 01:07 AM
I may have misread the board, but there was one hand when they said the guy was drawing dead and i swear he had two diamonds and there was a diamond on the board. he was up against top set (i think).

also, anyone have any idea what airs when on espn? i've seen episodes 1, 2 and 3.

SoftcoreRevolt
03-30-2005, 02:02 AM
ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT NORMAN CHAD DOESN'T KNOW WHEN A PLAYER IS DRAWING DEAD?!?!?!?!?

jayheaps
04-02-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how did sam respond to that?

yellowjack
04-03-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Get your dick out of his ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beerfund
04-03-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, so Josh is nice to you. Big fukcing deal, couldn't have anything to do with the fact that you're a slutty blonde that posts pics of herself in her underwear on the internet, now could it? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

crookedhat99
04-03-2005, 12:55 AM
You and Lon need to learn the difference between betting and raising. And also, that's a horrific call on your part in all regards, and I am still wondering how it was Sam's fault you got bubbled.

BeerMoney
04-03-2005, 12:31 PM
just wondering.

Kashie
04-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Good One lol,

I love this place!
Peace

DitMeMay
04-05-2005, 01:29 AM
torrent for this would be great! thx

MaGi
04-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Dunno if anyone said this, but a hand came up with Haber and...dont remember...
Haber: Ks Kc
Other guy: Kd 9d
Flop: Kh Xh 2d

announcers made a big point about how other guy is drawing dead, friggin drove me crazy sorry just had to vent.

sbu97
04-05-2005, 02:56 AM
I thought Greg's comment about Josh said a lot about Greg's character. He's a bigger man than me, because Josh was very disrespectful. I wouldn't have had many nice things to say if someone spoke about me that way. As someone who deals with the press, I can tell you that you need to be smart enough not to say stupid things like that WHEN YOU'RE MIKED! Pretty stupid, and Josh has made many disrespectful and dumb comments on TV. He is either stupid or an a$$, and I don't think he's stupid.

SoftcoreRevolt
04-05-2005, 03:24 AM
They also said how QQ would lose to trip aces if another Queen landed on the turn since it would be a lower three of a kind. That was seriously funny. Maybe I was drunk and missed his opponent having AQ, but I'm pretty sure it was just another Full House Vs Trips situation.

Bartman387
04-05-2005, 06:43 PM
They're replaying day two right now on ESPN2 and I still can't believe Josh did that. It is one thing for him to ask for a clock when he is not in the hand, I've seen in on WPT during season two and can't remember who it was, but they asked politely for a clock and there was nothing wrong with that, but for Josh to come out and say stuff to Todo is uncalled for. Should have asked for a clock and left it at that.

I dont think Tony G even says stuff to people involved in a hand when he is out, could be wrong, but I've never seen him do it.

srblan
04-05-2005, 06:55 PM
I noticed that as well. Just another mistake. He was dead on the turn, not the flop.

wray
04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They're replaying day two right now on ESPN2 and I still can't believe Josh did that. It is one thing for him to ask for a clock when he is not in the hand, I've seen in on WPT during season two and can't remember who it was, but they asked politely for a clock and there was nothing wrong with that, but for Josh to come out and say stuff to Todo is uncalled for. Should have asked for a clock and left it at that.

I dont think Tony G even says stuff to people involved in a hand when he is out, could be wrong, but I've never seen him do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you asked but I have been pissed at some things Josh has done in the past. On this deal I think he could have said it nicer BUT I think he does have a right to say something about a time issue. Even though he's not in the hand if a guy is taking WAY too much time then he's hurting the flow of the game.

swarm
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
What you don't see is that Todo does this in every hand that he is in. Every event I've been too and been around this guy he pulls this act and it is much longer than the tv version showed.

Arieh shouldn't have said anything in middle of the hand no question. But Todo's deliberate play pushes the envelope in some cases and he deserves to have the clock called on him from time to time.

I didn't think this was one of Josh's worse moves. His tirades in the WSOP were much worse IMO.

Peter Chabot
04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
dunno. but he plays heads up NL for big$ on full tilt alot.

Bartman387
04-06-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you asked but I have been pissed at some things Josh has done in the past. On this deal I think he could have said it nicer BUT I think he does have a right to say something about a time issue. Even though he's not in the hand if a guy is taking WAY too much time then he's hurting the flow of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I said he should have simply asked for a clock, there is nothing wrong with that, even if you are out of the hand. However, how he handled was classless and does not belong at a poker table, beyond a friendly home game.