PDA

View Full Version : Taking Notes on SNG Opponents

MSUcougar
03-25-2005, 03:18 PM
First, how many people consistently take notes on SNG opponents?

I've played about 1000 SNGs at the $30-50 level and I've never written a note on anybody. This is basically just laziness on my part. However, I am beginning to realize that I'm probably missing out on a potential advantage, since there are several players I see all the time. For those of you that take copious notes on your opponents, can you please give me some general ideas about the types of things you look for and how you document it?

Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BZ_Zorro
03-25-2005, 03:33 PM
I take notes, and it's extremely helpful.

I've started using poker blood hound, when I sit down I check every player and note their percentage won, games played etc, and make a small note with this info. This is an excellent indication of how smart the player is imo (not their style). I then very simply note whether they're tight or loose, their risk aversion, and their read on other players. You can usually get a good sense of this within the first 2-3 levels. This information is invaluable, since I find that STTs tend to come down to a couple of crucial decisions against unknowns. It also gets you involved in the game and thinking logically about your opponents' play, which sharpens your reflexes when you need to make a decision.

It does limit multi tabling though, can't do it on more than 2/3 at a time.

Zorro

morgan180
03-25-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can usually get a good sense of this within the first 2-3 levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would be careful with this statement. the way i play levels 1-4 are completely different then how i play afterwards. i think a great place to start is the "notes on notes" post by bisonbison (ill post the link next) but basically what i look for is their push hands, what they showed down, what some of their raising hands looked like, etc.

one thing that my wife likes to do is to open up the notes on everyone at the table at the beginning of the game and have them outside the table window, then they are there for easy access throughout. personally i play a few tables at a time so i can't do that, but i try to note peculiar plays and make notes on those situations at least.

The Student
03-25-2005, 04:05 PM
What's poker blood hound? I just did a google search for it and couldn't find anything.

ts-

ghostpoker
03-25-2005, 04:15 PM
I take note on general player types. So i know where the maniacs and rocks are etc....

lorinda
03-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I just found it. It's prophecy /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lori

proell
03-25-2005, 04:36 PM
My personal feeling is that notes aren't all that useful unless you are play a lot of SNGs. The frequency in which you will encounter the same players is very low. And often I hear players taking notes purely on how tight/loose someone is, which IMHO has no value (as Morgan mentioned, decent players will change gears drastically based on so many factors that you are not considering in your notes).

I like the idea of notes on players whom you believe to be strong players. Then at least you know somewhat who to watch out for (if you ever see them again), but trying to add too much detail is a fruitless endeavor...

Most important is how each player is playing within the context of this particular SNG. Only the best players (and the bots) are completely consistent from day to day.

kspade
03-25-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. Only the best players (and the bots) are completely consistent from day to day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't disagree with you more. The best players are constantly changing their game. Completely consistent players are very beatable players.

proell
03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best players are constantly changing their game. Completely consistent players are very beatable players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I disagree back. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif
But maybe we are saying similar things (maybe the bot comment threw you off). All I meant was the the top players are consistently solid players from day to day. The rest of us mortals will make bonehead plays when we are tired, sick, on tilt, running hot, drunk, etc. Sometimes the average player wants to gamble and sometimes they don't. Top players will rarely be in a "gambling" mood.

But that was all aside the point. The real point was that if you have a note saying "player X was extremely aggressive with his Ax" when you ran into him Friday night, I don't feel it contains any useful information for future sngs. If you have it over 20 sngs then maybe, but still if they all occurred on the bubble and you are in the early stages of a tourney then what good is it? Or even if you had level info, what about their stack size? etc.

The Student
03-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Uggh, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks, Lori.

ts-

MSUcougar
03-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Anyone care to contribute some SNG-specific note suggestions?

kspade
03-26-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best players are constantly changing their game. Completely consistent players are very beatable players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I disagree back. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif
But maybe we are saying similar things (maybe the bot comment threw you off). All I meant was the the top players are consistently solid players from day to day. The rest of us mortals will make bonehead plays when we are tired, sick, on tilt, running hot, drunk, etc. Sometimes the average player wants to gamble and sometimes they don't. Top players will rarely be in a "gambling" mood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, then yes, we are in agreement after all. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was reacting to my perception of the word "consistent" to mean one always (consistently) plays the same cards the same way. I see that is not how it was meant in this instance.

UncleDuke
03-26-2005, 05:21 AM
My notes usually have to do with plays they made that I consider unusual or worth remembering and strong tendencies they've shown. Examples are: limped with a big pair, tends to min raise with a big hand, makes big raises with weak aces, trap checked with TPTK, will call with garbage in lp ... I'll also note other factors that seem important like if the person was short-stacked, postion, how many others were in the pot, if it was early or on the bubble, etc.

I don't really make a ton of these notes. Usually I only do if it strikes me as particularly notable or if I've seen enough to feel I've detected a pattern. Since I multi-table, I also miss making a few that I might have otherwise made due to being actively involved in other hands.

FishBurger
03-26-2005, 05:26 AM
My notes usually consist of "raised to 50 preflop in level 1 with King Jackoff"