PDA

View Full Version : The three R's

10-13-2002, 07:01 AM
What's hard about playing poker for a living is that it seems like making 98% best decisions 98% of the time should be enough to fatten a bankroll. Those damn three R's. Rake rent and recreation. Mainly that first one.

Tommy

Herb N.
10-13-2002, 05:50 PM
AMEN.Some think Its easy.They have no idea..A BAD player tells me he wants to turn pro...Can you imagine A sales MGR.?He tells me "all you got to do is win $200.A day and quit....At the time I'm stuck $350.Four&1/2Hrs.later we walk out together HE lost over$800.I Get lucky,and walk out a $750 winner /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif A good night too bad I lost $225 the night before. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Humm Boy he made it sound easy..Just get ahead $200$ Quit....Oh Ya..He gave me a couple of tips about my play..BUT I forgot to write them down. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Ray Zee
10-13-2002, 06:32 PM
problem is you have to live within your means. most players dont make enough to live completely off their winnings as they spend too much when doing well and think thats is their true winning rate. thats why you got to invest and build up an income that doesnt quit.

10-14-2002, 02:25 PM
Set goals. My goal every year is to take a trip every year on my poker winnings Some years are better than others but by watching travel agent brochures you can get some real deals. Nothing like laying back on a luxery liner with a cocktail and a good cigar and knowining that the trip and cigar have been paid for by the very guys who camplain about cigar smokeat the Thursday nite game.

SittingBull
10-14-2002, 04:06 PM
continue "feeding" your current bankroll from your winnings to continue to build your 'roll??
Just wondering!
Sitting Bull

SittingBull
10-14-2002, 04:14 PM
a 7-day poker cruise from my poker winnings.
This year,we will have another vacation on my winnings.
I always maintain a 600BB bankroll for my division and have fun with the rest.
Since there is very limited opprtunity in my area to advance to a higher limt game,I see no reason to continue to "feed" by 600BB bankroll.

Happy pokering!
Sitting Bull

10-14-2002, 06:55 PM
I'm with you. I have a bankroll I keep, but when I win more I celebrate.

Ray Zee
10-14-2002, 10:10 PM
sure you need to keep building it past what you need for the games you are in. what if you want to move up in the future. if you spend it all you are stuck where you are. but if you are happy there, so be it. but eventually if you dont spend too much of your winnings you will have a backroll that can never be wiped out.
i am one for investing for the future. so i always feel as you get ahead to buy investments for when you get older. it worked for me and many others i know. those that partied away all their profits are sidelined when an unexpected occurance hits them sometime in life.