PDA

View Full Version : Playing Mid-Pocket Pair against likely High Pockets

Massad
03-25-2005, 01:47 PM
One situation that gets me in a lot of trouble is playing a mid-pockets like Jacks, and less so Queens, or Tens, against a lot of agression.

Here's a general situation:

Tight Villain raises in early position.
One loose cold-caller, I re-raise with pocket JJ in late position. Villain caps, cold-caller calls and so am I.

Villain is not the type of guy who would usually cap with AK so I feel I could be in trouble.

Flop is 3 low cards below my Jacks (or Queens, or Tens).

Villain bets, cold-caller calls, my turn to act.

What would you do in this situation?

I usually will raise in this spot, but if Villain re-raises, I'm not sure I can get away from this hand because:
1) There's tons of money in the pot, so I almost have to call down with top pair.
2) I, sometimes, like to employ a very, very agressive loose style of play (something like 25 VPIP, 18 PFR) and if Villain pegged me as this type of player and not my usually TAGGY self than he might be making a move thinking I have absolutely nothing.

My question is what do you when you faced with this type of decision?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

shark6
03-25-2005, 01:52 PM
If, as you say, “Villian is not the type to cap with AK”, then you answered your own question. Although, if I had draws or backdoor draws, I would raise for free cards and the chance that I am ahead.

SeaEagle
03-25-2005, 01:58 PM
HU against an agressive player, this is hard to play. I would raise and call down a reraise.

With three people, I think this is an easy raise. You don't want people hanging around on overcards.

stevew
03-25-2005, 02:04 PM
I would raise and based on the villian's response (call vs raise) proceed from there. If the villian re-reraises then I would call and see the turn.

shark6
03-25-2005, 02:10 PM
So you’re basically putting a guy who, “doesn’t cap with AK” on AK when he caps.

With the additional caller, a raise is going to create a huge pot that the Hero won’t be able to get away from.

Massad
03-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Shark, so where would you fold this hand, on a flop for 1 bet?

shark6
03-25-2005, 02:22 PM
I would fold for 1 SB on this flop if:

1. I am certain he would only cap with A’s K’s or Q’s and
2. I didn’t flop any straight/flush draws.

I would raise against an unknown because of the additional caller and the chance I am ahead. Re-evaluate if you get 3-bet on your raise.

stevew
03-25-2005, 02:26 PM
If you know for certain that the villian will only cap with AA and maybe KK then you fold the flop as you're only getting 10.5 to 1 on your two outer.

Massad
03-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Obviously, if you know this for certain than it's a clear fold, but you can never be certain with stuff like this, can you? Is it likely that he wouldn't cap with AK? Yes. That's my read on him. But am I 100% or even 90% certain? The answer is no. Nobody can be so definite about this.

shark6
03-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I guess this boils down to what is your definition of the word "usually".