PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure about my move but just in case...

minwoo
03-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Party $30 + $3 Multi-tourney at 2:30 EST. 715 Entrants.
Playing to win, ie: final table. Just past the bubble.
Blinds are 400/800. I have about 15,000, which is a little
under 2x the average stack. Villain has me slightly covered with about 16,000.

Villain makes it 2000 to go from EP. I look down at
A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif from the button. Think about re-raising, but decide to just call.

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Villain bets out 4500. I push.

Correct move here right? I'm pretty sure it is but just in case there is a BETTER way to play it.

Also, is this a situation where I should ALWAYS re-raise preflop since I have position and a deep stack?

Anyone give this hand up by putting him on AA? I doubt he has a set of kings, given his fairly large flop bet.

ZBTHorton
03-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Looks good.

sloth469
03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Set of 8s or 3s? I reraise preflop, too good a chance you take it down right there. But if he has me I'm going broke on that flop too.

DVC Calif
03-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't think his flop bet is out of line. There should be t5200 in the pot (400 + 800 + 2000 + 2000), so a t4500 bet is reasonable. With AA/KK he may simply be trying to protect his hand from the flush draw. The t5200 pot is a third of both your stacks, so I would want to play it fast too.

I don't think 33 or 88 leads out that way from EP, so your probably safe from bottom sets. It might also be a continuation bet from TT-QQ.

I like the push, although I think he is already pot committed. He has nearly 1/2 his original stack and only has to call another t3200 for a t13000 pot. Even if he is on a draw to the flush with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I would call with those odds (4:1).

Hope it worked out for you. Steve

MLG
03-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I play it exactly the same way.

captainzodiac
03-25-2005, 02:44 PM
at that point in the tourney i think you played this hand perfectly to double up,had you reraised preflop you possibly only make 2k,and waste a good opportunity,he could be on aa like you asked,but it's very unlikely,and if he has hit trips,he may make that bet,because of the flush opportunity out there,all chances you have to take here with the chance of doubling up with a very good hand,you're already in the money and have a chance to get back to average stacks,looks like an easy push,and it should pay most of the time. it probably didn't since you are asking,you probably ran into a better hand,but there not many ways to get around this one. in this heads up situation,the villian will not likely give you credit for flopping top pair,would be unlucky for him if hes playing qq-tt,and he'd have little choice left here but to push,since he's in the same stack situation as you,and badly needs to double up,so in most cases i would guess you had gotten lucky to get that flop for ak and double up.

minwoo
03-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Well I move in and he calls immediately and my blood turns cold. I wait and anticipate a set or AA. He turns over
Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. So I'm thinking awesome but then that third diamond falls on the turn and he makes his flush and I'm drawing dead. Oh well, that's poker. If any of you knew that you were up against a flush draw and you had top pair top kicker. Would you ever fold your hand to prevent going up against someone who can bust you?

MLG
03-25-2005, 06:00 PM
no, that's passing up way way way too much edge.

DVC Calif
03-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Player Notes: Laggy player. Open raises from EP with QJs. Re raise him PF from late position if possible.

captainzodiac
03-25-2005, 09:14 PM
i would have been pretty happy to see he was on a flush draw and be a 2-1 fav to double up,a pocket pair less then kings would have been optimal to be a 4-1 fav,but this situation is still sweet for you,there's your 1 loss to a flush draw,so you'll win the next 2 times,LOL!