PDA

View Full Version : great read

lucas9000
03-25-2005, 01:42 PM
nba player paul shirley's blog (http://www.nba.com/suns/news/shirley_blog.html)

a sample:
[ QUOTE ]
I had several Gun In Mouth Moments tonight—most of them caused by some bad nicknames. Gun In Mouth Moments (GIMM’s) are defined as points in my life when, if I were carrying a gun at the time, I would have to consider putting it in my mouth and ending it all so as to avoid dealing with the further downward spiral of our culture. The first GIMM arrived with the announcement of the starting line-ups. Here’s the deal: When, after 60 games, the team being announced has a winning percentage hovering around the same area as most pitchers’ batting averages, it loses the right to a grand entrance. No more dance team, no more theme song, no more dimming the lights. The players just walk onto the court and play the game. That’s it. The Hawks did not agree to my deal. They had an over-produced introduction on the big screen, an actual hawk that flew down from the rafters, and even a catch-phrase—something like, “The Spirit Lies Within.” Make it stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

jaym
03-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I experience at least one GIMM per visit to 2+2.

jakethebake
03-25-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure GIMM moments are what keeps us reading oot.

lucas9000
03-25-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure GIMM moments are what keeps us reading oot.

[/ QUOTE ]

they definitely keep me out of the wpt forum, and other forums.

Eurotrash
03-25-2005, 02:55 PM
wow, this [censored] is great. Check out his entry on Miami, especially his reference to Gugliotta's tat. hilaaaarious. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chairman Wood
03-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I have a new favorite NBA Player

Shajen
03-25-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By halftime, it was getting ugly. We were up 70-45 at the break and everyone was all smiles in the locker room. Little did they know, Mr. Hyde was waiting back on the court.

The second half started innocently enough. We looked slightly uninspired, but that is to be expected, I suppose, when it feels like the opponents’ parents may be waiting outside in minivans to take them home for some rest before the late night AAU game that is still to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is pretty funny.

Hermlord
03-25-2005, 03:06 PM
He's got the gun pointing backwards, man. You wanna take 'em out clock-tower style.

"Sometimes I wish I was just dead. No, wait. Not me -- you."
--Jack Handy

Shajen
03-25-2005, 03:10 PM
He reminds me of the Sports Guy, if the sport's guy had any athletic ability at all.

I foresee a future in journalism for this guy when he's done.

stabn
03-25-2005, 03:11 PM
The sports guy almost beat shaq in pig...

Eurotrash
03-25-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He reminds me of the Sports Guy

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking exactly the same. Their voices that they write in are very similar with the same style of humor. Here's a funny excerpt, Shirley on his duties with the Suns:

[ QUOTE ]
My responsibilities include: 1. Showing up for buses, practices, games, etc. on time. 2. Refraining from causing undue stress to anyone by misbehaving on road trips or wading into the stands to attack fans. 3. Practicing hard when given the opportunity. 4. Entering games when my team is up by an insurmountable margin and attempting to break the shots-per-minute record. It is not a difficult job, really, and I can find very little to complain about, especially tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

the shots-per-minute record thing cracked me up.

M2d
03-25-2005, 03:27 PM
this guy reminds me a lot of Tom Tolbert on his afternoon drive-time radio show.

Shajen
03-25-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I almost beat Michael Johnson in a 200 yd dash.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(yeah, I get what you are saying, but comparing almost beating a dis-interested 7footer in pig to being an athlete is a bit of a stretch dude.)

maryfield48
03-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Dunno Tom Tolbert, dunno The Sports Guy. But Shirley's insider-yet-above-it-all POV reminds me of Paul Phillips.

stabn
03-25-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(yeah, I get what you are saying, but comparing almost beating a dis-interested 7footer in pig to being an athlete is a bit of a stretch dude.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah but it is still [censored] hilarious man.

stabn
03-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Bask in the glory that is the sports guy. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/archive?columnist=simmons_bill&root=page2)

Shajen
03-25-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah but it is still [censored] hilarious man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was disappointed that Shaq resorted to the dunk to beat him. I would have specified that as a ground rule: No dunking.