PDA

View Full Version : Is aggression not blind?

Danenania
03-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Villain is Tight Aggro, 27/16/2.5 multi-tabler. She thinks I'm a good player.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Guido
03-25-2005, 07:12 AM
So what hands do you think you will beat? Or are you trying to push here of a hand like 88-TT? I think I would just call the river. Because she thinks you are a good player you might push her of a higher PP but not likely. When she was pushing a draw, a raise makes no sense either. Please explain.

Thanks,

Guido

Danenania
03-25-2005, 07:32 AM
What I saw as the strong possibility of 88-TT was my reason for raising. Since I already planned to call I only needed the raise to fold a better hand 1 in 11 times to make it good. Not sure if it does or not since it looks a little out of place, but I thought a multitabler not paying much attention might take it for AJ.

Rubeskies
03-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Isn't a turn raise scarier? It's going to make her not think you were pumping a draw and you perhaps are still representing an overpair condidering your preflop 3-bet. She'll also have to call two bets to see a showdown as opposed to 1.

We also have to take into account the fact that maybe she didn't cap preflop with JJ-AA knowing that you are a good player, doing this for deception value.

MAxx
03-25-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I already planned to call I only needed the raise to fold a better hand 1 in 11 times to make it good.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good question. i think the answer to this is- not going to be profitable here.

when i consider the action to this point, make some assumption about your opponents abilities (ie a decent to above average player), and consider the out of placeness of your river raise... i don't think your opponent will make the mistake of not calling your riverraise with a better hand 1 in 11 times in this big of a pot.

Danenania
03-25-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't a turn raise scarier? It's going to make her not think you were pumping a draw and you perhaps are still representing an overpair condidering your preflop 3-bet. She'll also have to call two bets to see a showdown as opposed to 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

A turn raise probably would be scarier, yes, but here are the problems. A.) It might get me 3-bet when I have a lot of outs which would be bad. B.) She wouldn't fold 77 or 88 to a turn raise because of her outs then would also probably call the river. C.) A better scare card than the J might hit on the river .

And your point about big pairs not capping is true, though I tend only to see this with AA, not JJ-KK.

TStoneMBD
03-25-2005, 04:44 PM
dont like it. i would save these bluffraises for situations where you have pocket 7s and are going to showdown, but dont have outs to a straight and whatnot. if you really feel like you need to make river raises against this person then i guess that this is one of the better times to do it.

Grisgra
03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't think anybody at 10/20 trusts a raise on a street where the board pairs. Too many goofy bluffraises at that limit in those scare-card situations. I know I wouldn't buy it.

Danenania
03-25-2005, 04:54 PM
I have a discipline problem where I will occasionally see an ALMOST good enough opportunity for a creative play, and then instead of holding off because I know it's not quite right, I try it anyway just for the sake of gamesmanship. I don't think it costs me a whole lot and these plays even work once in awhile, but there is no reason to be so trigger happy with them. I think this WOULD have been a good spot for a river raise had another high card hit, but as it happened my raise wasn't a good idea.

As for results, Rubeskies hit the nail pretty hard. She had AA and hhig.

TStoneMBD
03-25-2005, 05:01 PM
did she repop you? that would have been ownage. although i doubt she did because it would be pretty bad to make the call.

Danenania
03-25-2005, 05:07 PM
She just called the raise. Yeah I would have folded preety queek to 3-bet.