PDA

View Full Version : This is deplorable

judgesmails
03-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Story (http://www.illinoisleader.com/news/newsview.asp?c=23788)

Cyrus
03-25-2005, 05:48 AM
Mother arrested for attempting to intervene in her 14-year old's decision to have abortion
When the parents were notified their pregnant daughter was not at school, they suspected she had been taken to the Hope Abortion Clinic in Granite City.
[The girl's mother] took a seat near the main desk and said, “I was told I could not prove my daughter was there so I began calling her name. A medical tech at the clinic told me , ‘It’s your daughter’s rights, it’s her body. You have no rights.’”

Illinois Leader article (http://www.illinoisleader.com/news/newsview.asp?c=23788)

My guess is that the staff of the Hope Abortion Clinic acted the way they did (and that must be their standard way of dealing with distraught parents of girls having abortions) in order to protect their business interests, rather than because of some pro-choice idealism.

judgesmails
03-25-2005, 07:21 AM
This story makes me sick on many levels.

But to address your point about the staff motives: What if the 14 year old was overweight (not pregnant) and wanted to have elective liposuction? Should a child this age have the right to choose this medical procedure? And should the staff at the plastic surgeon's office be able to tell parents "It's your daughter's rights, it's her body. You have no rights,"?

14 year olds are just too young to make these decisions independent of their parents - regardless of what you think about adults and abortion. And for the clinic's staff to behave this way is reprehensible. And for the police to arrest the mother is unthinkable.

cardcounter0
03-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Yes, a very bad situation. 14 year old girl becomes pregnant under the care of the parents. Girl comes up missing from school, their first thought is to rush to an abortion clinic. Mother causes scene and disturbance at the clinic and gets arrested. Some how religious fundamentalist from "Victory Ministry" gets tipped off.

Maybe the child could be placed under the care of some responsible adults.

jaxmike
03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, a very bad situation. 14 year old girl becomes pregnant under the care of the parents. Girl comes up missing from school, their first thought is to rush to an abortion clinic. Mother causes scene and disturbance at the clinic and gets arrested. Some how religious fundamentalist from "Victory Ministry" gets tipped off.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a pretty sad view of the world. i think you need to get an education, and perhaps some counseling.

Daliman
03-25-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a pretty sad view of the world. i think you need to get an education, and perhaps some counseling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, i dunno, looks to me like he has it figured out pretty well.

fluxrad
03-25-2005, 03:09 PM
That was one of the most poorly written articles I've ever read. It reads more like a short story than an unbiased news report.

I was pro-choice until I read this article! Now I think we should outlaw all abortion!!!!

Cyrus
03-25-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
14 year old girl becomes pregnant under the care of the parents. Girl comes up missing from school, their first thought is to rush to an abortion clinic. Mother causes scene and disturbance at the clinic and gets arrested. Some how religious fundamentalist from "Victory Ministry" gets tipped off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we were to put under the care of "more responsible adults" every under-age girl that has unprotected sex, then there would not be many under-age girls left with their oroginal parents, I'm telling you!

As to "someone" notifying a religious organisation, this is not the issue here. The issue is, first and foremost, how the staff at the medical center (and it is a medical center, even if an abortion center is sometimes made out to work like a convenience store) are handling the patients and their families.

Although I'm firmly in support of women having the ultimate say about their pregnancies, there is a lot to be said (and worried) about the ethics of the medical corps, which puts profit over Hippocratic oath routinely. For instance, personally, I would invite the opinion of abortion centers into the abortion debate very, very carefully on account of their inherent bias in the matter.

[ QUOTE ]
Mother causes scene and disturbance at the clinic and gets arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

No harm in causing a little "disturbance" at a hospital if one sees/thinks that one's loved one is not taken care of properly. I have done this a number of times, too, and with a pretty cool head to boot. Sometimes, one needs to raise one's tone of voice to be heard. (There is nothing in the description about her getting physical with anybody. Some other time about that, in hospitals.)

QuadsOverQuads
03-26-2005, 04:54 AM
jaxmike wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
i think you need to get an education, and perhaps some counseling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irony, thy name is jaxmike.

q/q

jaxmike
03-28-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

jaxmike wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
i think you need to get an education, and perhaps some counseling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irony, thy name is jaxmike.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure man, you are so far down on the scale of evolutionary intelligence that it makes me laugh. Your views on the world are sad and pathetic. You need couseling and education, thats the facts.