PDA

View Full Version : Satelite radio signal strength.

judgesmails
03-25-2005, 04:22 AM
I am so tired of the local Las Vegas radio stations, they all suck. So I am looking into either XM or Sirius for my vehicle.

I have never been in a vehicle that has it.

Is the signal consistent and reliable?

If I am in the mountains does the signal waver?

Does it matter which service, XM or Siriux, I get for signal strength and reliability?

Thanks in advance for your response.

wacki
03-25-2005, 05:06 AM
http://www.tiger-usa.com/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

I suggest you buy an aftermarket antennae. Most people are very happy with sat radio from what I've heard.

There are performance differences between Sirius and XM. XM dropouts don't change spots, Sirius dropouts do.

youtalkfunny
03-25-2005, 05:28 AM
I've had Sirius five months. Only lose it when I go to Sonic, and park under the covered parking.

I'm taking vacation time, to hear Howard Stern's first week on Sirius. It's going to be off the hook. I can't wait to see what he pulls.

Shajen
03-25-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had Sirius five months. Only lose it when I go to Sonic, and park under the covered parking.

I'm taking vacation time, to hear Howard Stern's first week on Sirius. It's going to be off the hook. I can't wait to see what he pulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're taking vacation time to listen to Stern? Seriously??

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jakethebake
03-25-2005, 10:28 AM
people i know that have it like it. i'm not willing to pay to listen to radio, but that's just me. most of the big radio broadcasters are working on digital radio though. i know there will be several digital stations in vegas by next year, some even this year. they'll be able to split the signal to offer a lot more variety and the digital sound will be CD quality for FM, and the new AM will sound like analog FM. i think best buy already has digital receivers.

HDPM
03-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I have no complaints about my XM reception. However, IME antenna placement matters. I had it on the roof and had great reception, but then got a new car a couple years ago and had the antenna put inside under the rear window. I have somewhat worse reception in mountains and in downtown areas with taller buildings. But overall no complaints. Most people put the antenna on the roof and if you do that receptionshould be just fine.

r2p
03-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I had the new Starmate unit added to my car and I get minor drops here and there (might the antenna location on the car) with some signal loss on long overpass situations and no problems when used at the house with that setup.

jstnrgrs
03-25-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure how close the sattalites have to be to get reception, but if XM's satalites (on the equator) can pretty much cover the entire loewer 48, then I would think the sirius satallite than is circling Manatoba (there's always one) would be able to cover the entire lower 48 (and probably Alaska also).

What I want to know is do you have to have a direct line of sight to get a signal? (Does the signal drop when you drive under an overpass?)

HDPM
03-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Yes, you lose siganl under stuff. But it depends how fast you get through, whether the city has a booster thing (I think XM has some of these but I'm not sure) , antenna placement etc....

wacki
03-25-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how close the sattalites have to be to get reception,

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to altitude reasons, XM satellites are actually closer.

[ QUOTE ]
What I want to know is do you have to have a direct line of sight to get a signal? (Does the signal drop when you drive under an overpass?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on a multitude of factors. The signal is buffered so even if you go underground you are going to hear music for a short while.