PDA

View Full Version : PLO hand, did I make any mistakes?

10-12-2002, 03:15 PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to learn PLO and have been putting in some hours at the 1-2 pokerstars game. I've made my fair share of mistakes and am a very slight loser at the game (down $120 after 50 hours) but am getting better. This is all for fun anyway, so the money's not too important, but I'm competitive and like to win /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

before this hand, I was raising w/ AA, KK, and running straight type hands.

I was dealt 6-7-8-9 w/ 3 spades on the button. 2 people limp to me (one early, one middle) and I raise to $10, the two blinds both call and the early limper reraises to $52 and the 2nd limper folds, it's to me. Would anyone fold here?

At this point in the hand, I have $273 left, the raiser has $54 left, the small blind has $273 and the big blind has $153 left. If I call, I think at least one of the blinds would call also.

I called, and the two blinds both called the $42 reraise.

The flop comes Th5c6c giving me a good straight draw but against a flush draw. The two blinds check and the preflop raiser bets all-in for $54 making the pot ~ $264. What's your move?

I decided to just call so that the blinds would call too. I put the all-in bet on AAxx, maybe with the club draw (not necessary to have the club draw to bet all-in there). Plus if I just call, the blinds call giving me better odds. I figure if a club comes on the turn, I can fold and if the straight card does not come, I can take a free card (both blinds were playing passively). Is my thinking correct?

I called and both blinds called too, making the pot $353. The turn card is beautiful Th5c6c[4d] giving me the nuts. The blinds check to me and I bet my last $176, the first blind thinks for a while and calls, the 2nd blind folds. The river is a blank and I win a $778 pot! Finally I took a big one.

The small blind had TcKcKhJd
The limp-reraiser had AcAd5d8h
I had 6789 w/ 3 spades and 1 diamond

preflop - Everyone was between 31%-37% to win
on the flop - KKJT hand was 50%, I was 35%, AAxx was 15%
on the turn - KKJT was 22%, I was 78%, AAxx was dead

Please let me know if my thinking was sound or did I just get lucky to win this huge pot. Thanks for comments,

Jeff Gomberg

Ray Zee
10-12-2002, 08:18 PM
you got lucky. you played a large pot against unknown hands and made the best hand thats all. you could easily have been against hands that wiped yours out like 89tj or such. still its all in how you bet your money. maybe i would rather have it headup after the pot got larger. maybe it was better to play it as you did. only you can judge as you are the only one that had the read on the players hands.