PDA

View Full Version : After The Sunset

LethalRose
03-25-2005, 03:08 AM
This movie got a lot of really bad reviews but I for one thought it was a somewhat decent movie. Hayek basically uses her sexuality to try to make Brosnan forget about the diamond. Very good ending too.

A synopsis of the movie..

Two master thieves (Brosnan and Hayek) are finally retiring after one last succesful mission. Residing in their own tropical paradise, their old nemesis, FBI Agent Stan P. Lloyd shows up to make sure they really are retired. Docked in the port is a ocean liner called the "Diamond Cruise" and Stan is convinced that they're not really retired at all, and that this is the next set up. While Lola(Hayek) is busy settling into their new life and trying to find ways to keep busy, Max(Brosnan) is contemplating whether or not to steal the diamond. Now the question is, will he? Will Stan finally catch him after eight years of chasing him? Will Lola help Max steal it? And what of that shady character that has told Max he must steal the diamond for him?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367479/plotsummary

Its no oceans 11, but its decent.

InchoateHand
03-25-2005, 03:10 AM
The fact that Oceans 11 is your benchmark may explain why you thought this was a decent movie. It was weak, end of story.

pshreck
03-25-2005, 03:11 AM
A good rule for me in general is this: if the long trailer of the movie has nothing in it that looks interesting or entertaining to you, then you won't like the movie. It is 100% true for comedies, and mostly true for everything else.

This movie looked like crap in the 2 minute trailer, I dont see how I would like it at all. Your post raises my chance of seeing it a little... but probably still no.

InchoateHand
03-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Keep it a no. There are many bad movies with good trailers, but its a supremely rare good movie with a bad trailer (the only exceptions are the really gimmicky movie where they can't give anything away prior to the film, and even those tend to suck).

I saw the preview, and I was wholly uninterested in attending the movie. However, I like movies, so I watched it. I'm stupid like that, and if I can save anyone a couple bucks, don't watch this movie.

1800GAMBLER
03-25-2005, 03:14 AM
This film was awful, the trailer was played 24/7 through the wpt bahamas because it was shot at the atlantis and i had to sit through this effing film because my flight was delayed 10 hours while i was onboard and i had already watched Finding Neverland 3 times and pissing Bridget Jones twice. This film haunts me.

LethalRose
03-25-2005, 03:19 AM
fair enough, i still think it had a good ending.

andyfox
03-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Brosnan and Harrelson had some good moments playing off each other, but it was an airplane movie at best. An almost pleasant trifle.

jason_t
03-25-2005, 03:53 AM
A vastly superior movie that has "Sunset" in its title is "Before Sunset."

pshreck
03-25-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A vastly superior movie that has "Sunset" in its title is "After the Sunset."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the movie we are talking about, you drunkard.

jason_t
03-25-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That's the movie we are talking about, you drunkard.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, I am completely wasted right now. I meant "Before Sunset."

InchoateHand
03-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Yeah, I actually thought that was a very good "quiet" movie. I think it exceeded "Before Sunrise" in a most pleasant way.

1800GAMBLER
03-25-2005, 04:12 AM
I really hated the ending too. It was like the whole big twist was that one tiny event he pulled off. Ocean's 11 has about 5 of those at the end.

I also hate how they said 'the graveguard shift, old guards...' about 5 times throughout the movie, like it's a genius idea to break into somewhere when shitty guards are on.

And, oh man, the scuba diving scene that i can't get into without giving spoilers. Infact i should probably give spoilers to save anyone from watching this.

zephed56
03-25-2005, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Oceans 11 is your benchmark may explain why you thought this was a decent movie. It was weak, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]