PDA

View Full Version : A Boxers Training...

04-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know, on average, how long it takes for a boxer to properly train for a fight? The reason I ask is Stevie Johnson, former lightweight champ and still a top 3 ranked contender in the lightweight division, has a fight April 20th at the MGM Grand in Vegas. He was released from jail yesterday for failure to pay child support (he owes 60,000 in support) here in Denver. The only reason he was released was because his attorney agreed to have part of the 100,000 dollar purse he is to receive go towards his child support bill. This story was in the Denver papers because he is a Denver based fighter but I doubt it made national headlines. Seems to me if he's been in the can that he cant be in the best shape for boxing and wont be with only just over 2 weeks to prepare. If there is a line on the fight, might be worthwhile to take his opponent. Just a thought...Big Al.

04-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Typically, a guy would need longer than two weeks to prepare for a fight, but it's not always cut and dry...

I don't know too much about this guy, but pro boxers don't really let themselves get too far off track in terms of training.. I mean what else could a guy like Tyson have to do with his time besides hit the gym for at least a few hours each day??

Also, if the guy is coming out of prison, who knows how many push-ups or punches the guy is throwing in his cell... It's not like sparring, but if you can maintain your level of endurance by doing these types of exercises, then getting your ring sense back in two weeks is possible...

Just for the record, I do not box, but I do compete in martial arts fighting.. I can prepare for a tournament or a big fight in about a month

04-03-2002, 03:07 PM
Usually, most boxers in lighter weight classes stay in good shape all the time. I think it is more of a rhythm to get into when preparing for a fight. Also, the short time period makes it difficult for both fighters to tactically prepare for a specific fighter (not knowing in further advance who their opponent will be). If both fighters are generally equal (power & speed) and they both have more fights going the distance than KO's, it probably would be a good bet (barring no more than 2-1 odds). Good Luck!