PDA

View Full Version : pot committed?

joao_,martins
03-25-2005, 12:10 AM
pokerstars multi. top 45 pay. 38 players left.
blinds 600/1200 with a 100 ante.
I have 12k and I am the CO.
Everyone folds to me and i hold J /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
Aggressive player on the BB.
I have been raising often from the CO as it is my favorite steal spot.
It gets to me and i make it 3600.
BB re-raises all-in, he has me covered.
Now the pot is at 8700 and i have 8300. am i mathematically committed to this pot, considering i put 30 percent of my stack?

Anyhow i did call and he ended up having cowboys. after no help at all i got 38th.

PS i do realize it was not a smart move in the least to not go all-in in the first place if i wanted to make a move at the blinds... considering i only had 10x.

LethalRose
03-25-2005, 12:25 AM
fold and try to steal with your remaining 8300..

you are not pot commited on this, if you have 5BB then maybe...but not with your stack size. Plenty of chips to make people fold in the blinds.

Simplistic
03-25-2005, 12:29 AM
i think i've been overestimating the play of my opponents too much, i'll be stealing abit never showing etc. and then i'll make a steal and get re-raised. i usually say they're on a steal and fail to fold. and each time i'm usually against AA.

captainzodiac
03-25-2005, 12:46 AM
that's not a hand i like to steal with,but i've certainly tried it before,i usually set kt as my minimum stealing hand ,not sure why,just something i prefer,and i would never go all in with jt unless i'm forced by the blinds,that hand plays best in unraised pots,i'd have limped there and hoped to catch something,kk would have raised most likely and you could have gotten away from it.
blind stealing can be great,but really gets you in trouble if used to much when you don't have a stack that can afford someone playing back.i always like to see which player to my left defends his blinds the least,and target him,and when he plays back,fold quickly,because he has something.
i guess you're real question is are you pot committed,and i don't think you are,but it's close for sure,depends how you feel you are at recovering,but i'm not sure what hands you expect to beat with jt all in.

skoal2k4
03-25-2005, 12:49 AM
when you steal, it doesn't matter what your cards are.

joao_,martins
03-25-2005, 01:22 AM
well, certainly the range of hands he could have been on did not warrant a pot-odds call by any means... but me being short-stacked and putting in 30 percent of my chips my thinking was that i would take 3-2 gamble and i wouldnt be too upset about a 2.33-1 one either, obviously best case scenario being a toss... but i certainly didnt like being up against an overpair and being a 4-1 dog.

CardSharpCook
03-25-2005, 01:32 AM
There is no such thing as pot-committed.

You can fold any hand at anytime. There is no reason to throw money into a pot that you are going to lose. As to this situation, if you are making a bet where a reraise would force you to call when you'd rather fold, go all-in to begin with. This increases your FE to a small degree and avoids these sticky situations.

CSC