PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll question

shag
03-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Hi
Im a winning player in terms of ROI but I always end up broke because of very poor bankroll management. What is a reasonable SnG bankroll in terms of a multiple of buy if your a winning player.

Thanks for your help.

willperkins
03-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't claim to be a math whiz, but how can you have a positive ROI and go broke? Unless, you are bouncing around at the levels and winning at 5/1 and losing at 20/2 or something like that.

Anyway, most will tell you to have a bankroll of 30 X whatever level buy-in your playing.

shag
03-24-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't claim to be a math whiz, but how can you have a positive ROI and go broke? Unless, you are bouncing around at the levels and winning at 5/1 and losing at 20/2 or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well basically If i were to always play at the same level I would be a winning player however if I win $500 dollars playing 20's Ill end up moving up to 50's or even 100's and busting out or winning then cashing out most of the profits but still playing at the higher level. Then having spent the profits I eventually always end up broke. I was just curious as to what amount to keep in my BR if i stay at a level and can beat out any standard br variences.
Thanks for the response
shag

Simplistic
03-25-2005, 12:17 AM
i feel your pain...i crush SNGs but leak at cash games. my bankroll management is idiotic

Donating
03-25-2005, 12:20 AM
If you do a search, you will find a ton of information on this. If you play enough SNGs, you will experience downswings that last 50-100 games (i.e., you lose money over this period). You should be ok with a bankroll of 50 buy-ins - with this bankroll you will have a very small chance of going bust. Everyone will give you different but similar advice, but here's one piece: drop down when you start losing - make sure you have enough of a bankroll for one level down.

Deuce2High
03-25-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
drop down when you start losing - make sure you have enough of a bankroll for one level down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to disagree with this advice. If you are experiencing a downswing and you are confident that it is just variance and you aren't making mistakes and you dont go on tilt then it is -EV to go down a level.

curtains
03-25-2005, 05:09 AM
Deuce if you are playing on a 30x buyin bankroll and lose 10-15 bankrolls at your normal limit (Note that this is very very possible), it makes perfect sense to move down a limit until youve regained it.

btw I think 30x is too short at the higher limits, but maybe okay at lower limits.

UncleDuke
03-25-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to disagree with this advice. If you are experiencing a downswing and you are confident that it is just variance and you aren't making mistakes and you dont go on tilt then it is -EV to go down a level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with you if this wasn't a situation where the person has a tight bankroll, however, if he'll be out of money and just can't play anymore if his downswing doesn't end right away, then his skill won't do him any good. It makes sense to move down to where reasonable variance doesn't have much chance to bust him. If he starts winning again, and his bankroll gets healthier, he can move back up.

Donating
03-25-2005, 05:22 AM
I agree - as opposed to saying "start losing" I should have said "once you've lost a certain percentage of your bankroll." This percentage is highly player dependent, but needs more attention from a player who is constantly under-funded.

apd138
03-25-2005, 12:50 PM
To determine the correct minimum bankroll I believe your correct ROI would be very important, although obviously this is difficult possibly impossible to determine for most people. Working with that premise you would obviously need more buyins at each limit increase assuming your ROI would decrease.

pooh74
03-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I like 40-50 (i play with more) buy-ins...i would drop down at 30. If you need to cash out, you need to drop down...variance wont allow cash outs if it means you're playing with <10 bIs.

I fund MTTS with $ made above and beyond my current stop-loss point...if I dip below that, no MTTS or other higher variance games until I grind it out back to where I want to be. The same discipline you use ON the table should be implemented with your BR...I think its a huge part of the game that can really destroy an otherwise decent player.

Voltron87
03-25-2005, 01:33 PM
I keep 15 in my account. If I lose this, I step back and reevaluate, since I am probably either doing something wrong or on tilt from the bad luck of the first 6 or 7.

As for total, I keep 100 in my poker SNG bankroll. I have no real other source of income, I'm a student, and I really don't want to have to reload.

Maulik
03-25-2005, 01:36 PM
If you are playing many tournaments simultaneously, I beleive 50 buyins is reasonable. Good luck.

Voltron87
03-25-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like 40-50 (i play with more) buy-ins...i would drop down at 30. If you need to cash out, you need to drop down...variance wont allow cash outs if it means you're playing with <10 bIs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also good advice.