PDA

View Full Version : Misplayed KK ITM??

Beck
03-24-2005, 09:34 PM
My read on villain was that he was decent. Figured his raise was only a steal attempt, hence he would fold if I went all-in. So I made a decent bet, hoping for a A-less flop, but alas.....
Should I have checked the flop? What if he bet the flop, I can't see how I couldn't call it, so tried to stay the aggressor.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t3770)
SB (t1655)
Hero (t2575)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1300</font>, Button calls t700.

Flop: (t2750) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets all-in, Button calls t1275.

Turn: (t4025) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t4025) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t4025

Degen
03-24-2005, 09:59 PM
i go all-in pre without a doubt, because by this time i have been stealing my arse off and i want A-rag to call me out of frustration...if you lose to that flop, you lose...but its better than this happeneing. this is a poor move OTF IMO...i'd bet small, because if he missed the flop he's likely to fold to any bet.

Degen

kyro
03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't see how him folding is a terrible thing. Sure you'd like him to call, but there's already 1050 in the pot which is half your stack. I push in here and pad my stack a bit.

The way you played it, you're basically committed to going all-in, but I would check/call the bet because I can't see him calling your bet without an A, but he'll certainly bluff at it.

The Student
03-24-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you lose to that flop, you lose...but its better than this happeneing. this is a poor move OTF IMO...i'd bet small, because if he missed the flop he's likely to fold to any bet.

Degen

[/ QUOTE ]

that last line is key - you bet small on the flop because if he doesn't have an ace he's gone, and if he raises or even calls you're done. he got lucky against you, but you live on. i like a PF push here instead. despite his previous raise, he'll probably fold it to your all-in unless he has a strong ace or another PP.

jcm4ccc
03-24-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like a PF push here instead. despite his previous raise, he'll probably fold it to your all-in unless he has a strong ace or another PP.

[/ QUOTE ] That would argue against a PF push, in my opinion. Why in the world would you want him to fold?

adanthar
03-25-2005, 01:09 AM
You should've pushed PF about a dozen times before this and you should be pushing now solely because you'd also occasionally make that play with QTo.

That, not small reraises, is how you get kings called PF.

UncleDuke
03-25-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm with the push preflop crowd. As has been said, if you just take it down there, that's still a pretty good win based on the size of the pot and your stack. Also, as has also been said or alluded to, with the blinds getting big and only three players, there are going to be moves made with much worse hands than your KK, so a push isn't necessarily going to get the respect it might earlier in the going. Your push might get called, which is ideal.

flyingmoose
03-25-2005, 08:37 AM
If your opponent had Ace-rag, you gave him implied odds to call, since you pushed on an Ace flop. Your push postflop is terrible. You pay him if he has an ace and don't let him bluff if he doesn't. This is an easy check. Whether it's a check/call or a check/fold I don't know; I've never been there, because I don't play kings like this.

I push this preflop. I would only consider slowplaying kings if it were the SB that bet, and I would just call and take a flop with position. Even then, though, with the pot already willing to add 50% to my stack, I probably push.

The Student
03-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I just re-read my previous post and realized that it was not as clear as I had hoped. Like Adanthar and others have written, by this point I would have been pushing a number of times already, so the villians are itching for a chance to take a stand. I still push here with the kings and HOPE to get called. Having said that, I still don't think the villian takes the stand here without a strong ace or a PP (based upon the OP's read that the villian is on a steal). I do want a call here, but I'd rather just push PF and take down the pot than do a small raise and let the villian in on a hand that could be problematic - which is exactly what happened. In my mind, the hero's PF raise is very problematic because now he's got half his chips in on a hand PF but he doesn't know what to do if an ace hits the flop.

Personally, since I 4-table, I just prefer to push PF, hope that all my previous pushing antics will incite a call here and get paid off. I like the push more than the small raise because it keeps things simple when I'm 4-tabling. Also, the small raise levaes you with 4 BBs and not a clue what to do when the ace hits the flop. However, if my PF push isn't called, I'm not devastated because I'd still prefer to take this down PF with a push than have to deal with an ace on the flop and not know where I'm at.

ts-