PDA

View Full Version : Is this correct play or Moronic

Suntzu00000
03-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Villan is a loose player about 40% of all hands preflop and not too aggressive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

einbert
03-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Check-call the river.

The rest is perfect.

Guruman
03-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Here's my take on this:

This guy's loose, but he raised pre-flop, which probably puts him on either some random pair, some suited connectors or a couple of overcards.

since the flop missed you completely you're now playing a drawing hand if the villain caught any of it. I'd consider this a distinct possibility since a loose player will see Ax or any suited connectors and think "sweet!" I don't mind the flop bet, but I question your intent based on what you did on the turn.

I'd have bet the flop for a free card on the turn. This guy looks passive as hell in this hand, and a turn check could have shown you the river for free.

On the river you've got an Ace high against a loose player with a four-straight and a three-flush on the board and 6BB at stake. Remember, the only hand you beat here is a couple of lower overcards and this guy's gonna hang around till showdown. It may be best to check-fold here, since villain is unlikely to fold this for one bet - and since he may check through for a free showdown if he has the one hand you beat.

CallMeIshmael
03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check-call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would too. But, I was thinking: does he call with or bet more hands that we have beat?

Guruman
03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check-call the river.

The rest is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll not defend my line of checking the turn very vehemontly here since it depends on whether the villain is drawing or not. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

einbert
03-24-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check-call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would too. But, I was thinking: does he call with or bet more hands that we have beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he checks behind a worse hand a lot of the time, that he may or may not have called a bet with. But if he's feeling frisky he might either bet when checked to or raise the river. We can't call a river raise, obviously. Even though the read is "not too aggressive" it's still possible that he just wants to take a shot at us because of the scariness of the board. But if we check to him it might look like we are giving up the pot and he might take a stab with hands that we beat. And he probably won't bet hands with a small amount of showdown value that we don't beat, like a pair of fives or sixes. His bet will usually either be a bluff or something that has us crushed.

And while I do think it's likely for him to call our river bet with a worse ace, he won't call with a lot of hands he has taken this far that are worse than ours.

To the other poster, I don't think checking this turn is a good idea at all considering the drawy nature of the board. It's very likely he has some sort of ten outer or more against us and even if he only has a six outer we don't want to give a free card. Plus against this particular opponent I wouldn't feel bad at all about folding to a turn raise.