PDA

View Full Version : Leaks in my Game

Donating
03-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I play Party $55 SNGs and am hoping to get thoughts regarding what I think are two leaks in my play. First, according to Poker Tracker, I am losing money at the 100/200 level (this is my only losing level). Second, I am concerned with my percentage of 7th place finishes (everything else seems to follow a nice trend).

I know people get hung up on significant sample sizes, so I've not listed the number of SNGs I've played. Please assume that I've played enough to be comfortable with the stats listed below.

ROI: 26.4%
Finishes:
1 15.0%
2 12.9%
3 12.6%
4 11.7%
5 10.8%
6 10.2%
7 13.5%
8 5.7%
9 3.9%
10 3.6%

curtains
03-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Are you not posting your sample size because you don't want us to tell you something that you don't want to hear (Even if it might be true?). I don't any reason for ommitting it. There is only so much we can tell from a bunch of numbers like this.

microbet
03-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Let us know how many games you have played and post a lot of game transcripts.

Donating
03-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I do not want to come off the wrong way. I read this forum frequently and there is often good advice that comes from it. I understand that people don't like to make assertions about someone's game if they feel that the sample size is insignificant. The consensus here is that you need in the thousands to get to the long term. Also, some people refuse to give advice if they feel that the sample is not large enough. I was hoping to circumvent that issue – which I guess is unavoidable. The reason for my post was to try to fix leaks in my game, and I thought my stats would be helpful in that context.

The numbers I've posted are for my last 1,336 SNGs (I did not have PT prior to this). I thought that this would be a significant enough size in order to start drawing some conclusions. I really didn't feel like waiting until I had 5,000 before trying to fix leaks in my game.

curtains
03-24-2005, 08:01 PM
1336 is pretty signifigant

curtains
03-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Anyway if this is based on 1300 games then your numbers are very very good.

Donating
03-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks, but I really do feel like I have some big leaks in my game – and can do much better if I get rid of them.

So, back to my original question. I am more concerned about my 100-200 level game than 7th place finishes. I have two theories here. One is that the tournament doesn’t really start until the 5th level. Because this is the inflection point for blind stealing, this is where the most volatility should occur. If I make it through this level – I’ll usually have the chips that allow me to be a winning player beyond. The second is that I am two aggressive at the 100/200 level, stealing too frequently or with marginal hands (and getting caught).

I could post hand histories, but I really think that you’d have to look at entire games (and a lot of games at that) in order to get a feel for my play/aggression factor. So, put another way – my question is “are there other players out there who have mid-teens+ ROIs who are showing aggregate losses at the 100/200 level (or any level for that matter)?”

Unparagoned
03-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Well, you have both played more SNGs than me and played them at a higher level. However, if you are interested, my inclination, after only seeing these numbers, is that the 7th place "problem" is really not a problem. You have to consider the dearth of later finishes. I would guess that a number of those 7th place finishes are simply the result of getting hit a bit early and once you get to level 4 on a tightish table, you are forced to make a few moves to pick up blinds. The consequence is that you are going to get knocked out sometimes. In fact, I think that the setup you have right now is probably a very good one. When you've taken a few small hits early, it seems taking a few risks to pick up chips and have a chance to maneuver your way into the money is probably not a bad decision. As to the 100/200 problem, well, hard to say without seeing you play, but I suppose it could stem from the same thing (assuming I was right in the first place). Basically, I think that because you are not busting a whole lot in 10, 9, or 8th, you have to bust somewhere and 7th makes sense I think.

curtains
03-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Much easier to see leaks in your game from actually seeing hands, not just numbers.