PDA

View Full Version : Poll: You are Terri Schiavo and you can say one sentence....

wacki
03-24-2005, 04:57 PM

fluxrad
03-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Michael: We could totally keep Terri alive if we could somehow lower our copay.

Mrs. Schindler: Yeah, we need to get that insurance that covers you if you become a vegetable.

Terri: AFLAC!

fluff
03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Michael: We could totally keep Terri alive if we could somehow lower our copay.

Mrs. Schindler: Yeah, we need to get that insurance that covers you if you become a vegetable.

Terri: AFLAC!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, that is brilliant.

bholdr
03-24-2005, 05:45 PM
well?

Superfluous Man
03-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Where's the "RRNGHRNRNGHYRNGHTRAGH (faint gurgling noise)" option?

Though the "Hay guys i have no cerebral cortex my body is just an animated corpse dancing around" option would also be nice.

KLGambiT
03-24-2005, 06:15 PM
I dont get it, whats so funny about an innocent women being starved to death?

El Barto
03-24-2005, 06:17 PM
"I can't believe I'm the most famous woman in the country."

Matty
03-24-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Though the "Hay guys i have no cerebral cortex my body is just an animated corpse dancing around" option would also be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]Ah, but where is your soul when your cognitive functions cease? I don't think they covered this situation in the bible..

adanthar
03-24-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont get it, whats so funny about an innocent women being starved to death?

[/ QUOTE ]

The body of Terry Schiavo is only a woman in the very technical sense of the term.

http://img38.exs.cx/img38/9796/braaaains8gh5he.th.jpg (http://img38.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img38&image=braaaains8gh5he.jpg)

Matty
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Except for her soul!!!oneoneone

adanthar
03-24-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Soul, alien probe, same thing.

(That's actually the experimental implant Michael Schiavo had implanted three years after the accident, which is also the reason she can't have an MRI - they'd need to remove it first.)

Superfluous Man
03-24-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But Aristotle told me the soul and the origin of cognition is in the heart. Who are you going to trust? Modern medicine or one of the greatest Christian philosophers of all time??

<font color="white">Yes, it's a joke.</font>

cielo
03-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Aristotle died 322 years before Jesus was born, if that's who you are talking about, if not ignore this

**edit, didn't see the white text

cielo

Cyrus
03-24-2005, 09:37 PM
You realize that if Terri is capable of "saying one sentence" then she has a functioning brain and full consciousness!

How can you be so sure that the first thing a person with a fully functioning brain would say is that she wants to die ?

cielo
03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You realize that if Terri is capable of "saying one sentence" then she has a functioning brain and full consciousness!

How can you be so sure that the first thing a person with a fully functioning brain would say is that she wants to die ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure that someone saying one sentence necessitates them having "full consciousness". My girlfriend told me that I was talking in my sleep last night. However, I sure wasn't fully conscious.

To answer your question though, I did not read the OP as asking what would she say, but rather, what would I want done to me, if I were in that position.

I would say that what I find to be very compelling was a post I saw here (OT Politics) from Nietzsche, I believe it was from Beyond Good and Evil, about, "most live too long, very few live to short of a life"

Also, when have we gone from showing that she has a "functioning brain" to a "fully functioning brain"?

Do you concede that there is a difference between these two?

Cyrus
03-24-2005, 10:43 PM
I have the suspicion you are smarter than the post indicates.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure that someone saying one sentence necessitates them having "full consciousness". My girlfriend told me that I was talking in my sleep last night.

[/ QUOTE ]
We are assuming that "saying a sentence" implies a fully functioning brain that intentionally and meaningfully communicates. The question is clearly not about the random utterings of a brain-damaged person or talking in one's sleep.

[ QUOTE ]
When have we gone from showing that she has a "functioning brain" to a "fully functioning brain"? Do you concede that there is a difference between these two?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do. There is. But I wrote "if Terri is capable of "saying one sentence" then she has a functioning brain and full consciousness!" My shorthand for the two states happening simultaneously was the "fully functioning brain". Hope this helped. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MMMMMM says that she "reacts to pain". But that does NOT imply a (fully) functioning brain. People are always confusing the functioning of the nervous system with the functioning of the brain. Moreover, very few people outside medicine realize how the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems work.

--Cyrus

BillUCF
03-27-2005, 10:25 AM
I have bulemia and I need to purge.

MMMMMM
03-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, but bholdr, she hasn't been diagnosed as comatose.

bholdr
03-27-2005, 06:06 PM
well, you know what i mean. she's apperantly incapable of responding to outside stimuli, and most healthcare professionals involved believe that she's a veggie, so i don't think she gives a hoot. that other post you made is interesting, though.

masse75
03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
"MMMMMMM is way off base."

Zeno
03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"You are Terri Schiavo and you can say one sentence.... "

[/ QUOTE ]

'I'm glad I'm finally leaveing this sickening hoopla behind and heading for blissful oblivion.'

That, or ...'I need a BEER!'

-Zeno

Daliman
03-27-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I can't believe I'm the most famous woman in the country."

[/ QUOTE ]
nh