PDA

View Full Version : Missed Value Bet?????

Suntzu00000
03-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Villian is an 80% preflop caller who is about average in his aggressiveness. Would anyone have played this differently?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Sarge85
03-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah i probably pop it.

It's a really odd out of no where bet, but he could be a weak tighty who wanted to be damn sure the flush didn't get there, and thinks his top pair is good.

Pop it, and call one.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

sinfulslick18
03-24-2005, 03:34 PM
It is hard to say raise that river, but i do not see a threat that the three poses.

-sinful

JoshuaD
03-24-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is hard to say raise that river, but i do not see a threat that the three poses.

-sinful

[/ QUOTE ]

33, any goofy two pair. If the guy is average in his aggressiveness, he's probably read a poker book or two and knows about blind stealing. This could be a crappy attempt and defending that turned into two pair or a set.

I still raise.

Dopey
03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Based on the play of this hand I cannot think of any reason to raise. Call me weak-tight if you must /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Why would anyone check call the whole way and the bet out on an obvious blank? The bet out seems like a bluff but given the nature of the last card against someone with average aggressiveness I rarely see such strange bluffs. I don't see the raise as +EV.

Unless they really strangely played top pair your raise won't be called by a hand you beat and you will most likely be shown 2 pair or better.

Dopey /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Reprocess
03-24-2005, 08:45 PM
This play isnt very unusual at all. I make it occasionally against preflop raisers HU when they have postion on me and I flop at least top pair. (and i think there is a good probablity im ahead and they would fold to any aggression, I want them to keep putting money in the pot) I want to make sure they arent betting a wiffed AK or such and are going to check the river, and unless they have a monster most players get confused when an opponent bets out on the river and just calls. You usually lose the same when you are behind but make a bb when you are ahead since most players wont bet the river with A high or an underpair.

After all that, yes I would raise and call a three bet.

Little Fishy
03-24-2005, 09:02 PM
you might make that play, but i don't think an average opponent would. if you know your up against a specific type of thinking villain who will make uncommon bluffs/value bets like this in order to throw off opponents than the chances that you're up against top pair increases and the EV increases, however against almost all players I think a simple call on the river has a higher EV than a raise has.

by raising you're putting in 3 bets when you're behind and not winning any extra when you're ahead. it seems rather silly.

-little fishy