PDA

View Full Version : River raise with only a piece.

TripleH68
03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

I know the pot is small, but I am trying to make the transition to being a stronger player. My notes on this opponent say he can be tricky and will carry hands too far. How do you rate this play?

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (2.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

I didn't much like the J on the turn, but when another hit on the river...

River: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

nolanfan34
03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Considering the fact that he's been betting like he has a K the whole way, I really don't think he's going to fold the river. If he's a thinking player at all, it's hard to put you on a J on the flop, besides the J /images/graemlins/spade.gif perhaps.

I'm not against taking a shot on the river, but this isn't a hand where it's profitable, IMO.

Sarge85
03-24-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I know the pot is small, but I am trying to make the transition to being a stronger player. My notes on this opponent say he can be tricky and will carry hands too far. How do you rate this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who caries the hands too far?

If he caries hands too far --- what makes you think he will fold?

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MaxPower
03-24-2005, 04:58 PM
You said it yourself. The pot is small and he will rarely fold a better hand. He may or may not call with a worse hand. If you think he is betting a missed draw, just call.

sfer
03-24-2005, 05:26 PM
If you think he's on a draw the street to raise is the turn.

QTip
03-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Assuming the spade doesn't fall, are you then planning on taking a free showdown?

QTip
03-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Also, do you fold to a 3 bet?

SeaEagle
03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm sure I'm joining the chorus here, but there's no reason for your opponent to think you were sticking around with something that was helped by the J /images/graemlins/club.gif.

You can't expect him to fold any hands that are beating you here, so unless you think you're winning and this is a value bet, it's not a good bet.

BTW, I like this raise a lot better if don't have a piece of the board. There's much less reason to bluff at him when you're already beating many of his hands.

TripleH68
03-24-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think he's on a draw the street to raise is the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the hidden question in my post, but I did not want to say "should I have raised the turn?"

BTW, villain called my river raise and showed T7 MHIG. (of course when he called I expected to see a weak K)