PDA

View Full Version : is this the right time to move in OTB?

maldini
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
ive been going out 4th alot lately. often with A-x.

blinds are fairly low. could i have take another line?

should i be waiting for the other small stack to gamble first?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t7235)
Button (t3860)
Hero (t1075)
BB (t1330)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1075</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t775.

Flop: (t2250) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2250) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2250) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2250

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad 9d (two pair, aces and nines).
Button has 4h Ah (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins t2250. </font>

thanks for any input.

sofere
03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Depends a lot on reads. Generally I say I fold, and wait to open push. I think I would need 88+, AJ+ to reraise push this. If button was raising every time, I say taking a stand was appropriate unless SB was very tight, in which case folding and stealing from SB would be appropriate.

The bad beat sucks tho.

therock
03-24-2005, 02:34 PM
A lot of big stacks like to make a 2 unit pre-flop from the button in this spot, so his ranges of hands is not that powerful. However, I still fold this pre-flop. You don't want to be calling all of your chips with A9. Plenty of time to wait for a better spot.

dfscott
03-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Take this with a grain of sale because I tend to call too much, but in this case I'd be much more likely to defend from the BB than the SB, just to make the point that my BB isn't up for grabs.

That said, I'd prefer AJ+, even in that position.

Dudd
03-24-2005, 04:33 PM
In the range of hands your opponent can raising with in that situation, you'll be ahead or a coinflip in most of them. Be glad you weren't up against something like KT, but instead were dominating his smaller ace. Bad luck, but hey, it's poker.

maldini
03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
so, you think its a good push? being a coinflip isnt necessarily good. i will say that at the $10s and $20s there is less FE than i think. i'm called by a first in raise like 80% of the time i think. i'm thinking this is a better play against players that dont want a coinflip themselves. these guys live for coinflips.

i just cant tell if i've been unlucky lately to be losing alot of coinflips OTB or if i would be better off waiting until i'm first in even though my stack is lower and my holdings are likely to be worse.

i just hate limping into 3rd but i guess its necessary sometimes.