PDA

View Full Version : check with outs hand?

tolbiny
03-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Two limpers to me in the BB with J7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

flop J T 9 with one /images/graemlins/heart.gif

i bet, first limper calls, otherfolds.

Turn K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Rubeskies
03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you bet for value and call a raise with no reads. Any ace will probably call along with who knows what else.

DrGutshot
03-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I think I would check

-DrG

Victor
03-24-2005, 01:51 PM
just bet. your opp could have anything. bet the river too. he is calling you down with any pair.

BottlesOf
03-24-2005, 02:00 PM
I would love to see an authoritative post on when to check with outs in heads up situations, Obviously, we can't creat an all-encompasing FAQ, but some guidlienes would be nice. Such as, for an X out hand, you should be more inclined to check behind when the pot is Y big. How big/small is the spread atht he point where you really want to avoid being checkraised b/c you "have to call." Also how do sliding probabilities for being checkraised and folding equity modify things.

At this point in my poker career I kind of eyeball it and feel I'm usually making a good choice, but I'm not totally sure...

J.R.
03-24-2005, 02:10 PM
if there is any doubt, bet. The clearest example of when to check behind is when you have no pair/less than A high but a good draw and are only betting w/ fold equity. If you hold a made hand and there is a any realistic chance your hand is best, its generally an easy bet, even more so in the loose 6-max games. Checking with outs is a cute theoretical concept, the significance of which is that you must avoid getting infatuated with it, especially in 6-max.

I'd much rather err on the side of relentlessly value betting (too a lesser extent semi-bluffing) my hands than looking for chances to check behind. Failing to bet for value is a much greater concern than betting when a check may be better.

The bigger the pot the more inclined I am to bet, but its the strength of your draw (and/or made hands) and the aggressiveness and looseness of your opponent that are the most significant factors in deciding to check behind.

BottlesOf
03-24-2005, 02:13 PM
This is a great first step I think. Thanks JR, I feel similarly.

krishanleong
03-24-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check with outs hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check with outs is more of a in position concept in my mind. And it definitely doesn't apply when you have a good hand. It's more when you want to draw cheap and you don't want to be cred.

Krishan

MAxx
03-24-2005, 02:32 PM
without looking at other responses......this is not a check withouts hand imo. this is a made hand with a backup draw. i think you gotta bet turn for the value of your second pair alone. getting raised hear is not that bad. giving out a freebie to a hand that beats you is not wise.

Stacheman
03-24-2005, 02:32 PM
I think the correct play here would be to bet to make any 8 or Ace pay for their draw in this small pot. Even if it gets raised back to you, you at least 9 outs and maybe more to make the best hand.