PDA

View Full Version : What was Tony G calling with?

betgo
03-24-2005, 12:13 PM
I am usually critical of people who criticize pros play on TV. However, I was watching that Paris tournament last night and I didn't understand the calls with J8 and J4s of big overbet pushes. Granted Sunar was probably pushing a lot of hands, but I didn't see that there were pot odds to call. It looked like the pushes were for something like 10xBB. I play a lot of heads up NL games and SNGs where the blinds get big at the end and a lot of hands are pushed and I would never call with hands like that until the blinds got a lot bigger. Am I missing something top pros like Tony G. understand?

Grisgra
03-24-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing something top pros like Tony G. understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got heart, and you (apparently) don't! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dominic
03-24-2005, 01:34 PM
no, you're not missing anything. Tony G. played like an ass. He got lucky to bust the 3rd place quy who had 88 against Tony's Q6. Then, against Surinder, he played one fantastic hand - the 84 with the huge all-in bluff on the river - and then went into the tank, calling all-ins with mediocre hands.

To me, it looked like he was afraid of actually playing HU against Surinder and was willing to let luck be the final determining factor instead.