PDA

View Full Version : Who else is tired of Terri Schiavo?

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't understand why this is dominating the news. I just went to the Wall Street Journal and clicked on Business News and one of the top stories is Terri Schiavo. Wtf? That's Business News?

dr_venkman
03-24-2005, 11:27 AM
welcome to the United Theocratic States of Money

rusellmj
03-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Michael Schiavo

codewarrior
03-24-2005, 11:42 AM
You won't have to be for much longer....

mmbt0ne
03-24-2005, 11:44 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Michael Schiavo

[/ QUOTE ]

beat me.

cardcounter0
03-24-2005, 11:52 AM
"Halliburton Corp. might have overcharged the United States by more than $100 million on a contract to deliver fuel to Iraq in the early days of the war. In one transaction cited, Halliburton charged $27.5 million to deliver $82,100 worth of liquefied petroleum gas."

This might have something to do with the media wanting to focus on other "news".
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sam h
03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I assume.

mmbt0ne
03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
GO BACK TO POLITICS!! HE SAID HE'S SICK OF THIS STUFF!!!

ethan
03-24-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least it's been a little while since we saw Broken Glass Can in this forum.

morgan180
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
very, very tired of it.

PeeWeeH
03-24-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Schiavo

[/ QUOTE ]

daveymck
03-24-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Schiavo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to the UK not on our news.

private joker
03-24-2005, 02:41 PM
http://img70.exs.cx/img70/8922/schiavotube20tb.gif

lu_hawk
03-24-2005, 02:45 PM
without taking a stand on the issue i will say i feel very very bad for the parents. hard to immagine their feelings right now. what an awful situation.

housenuts
03-24-2005, 02:55 PM
right here. this man.

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 03:00 PM
What was your point in posting this? I was commenting on how ridiculous it is to have this as the headline news every day for over a week. I wasn't commenting on yea or nay. If you want to argue that, why not keep it in the politics forum?

[ QUOTE ]
http://img70.exs.cx/img70/8922/schiavotube20tb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Shajen
03-24-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm not arguing for or against, but this is one [censored] up way to go.

private joker
03-24-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was your point in posting this? I was commenting on how ridiculous it is to have this as the headline news every day for over a week. I wasn't commenting on yea or nay. If you want to argue that, why not keep it in the politics forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not arguing for anything. I posted that picture because it made me laugh. It was like an anatomy textbook diagram of what's happening to her. That the picture was posted on MSNBC.com is indicative of how ridiculous the media coverage of the story is. I'm agreeing with you, donk. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voltron87
03-24-2005, 04:17 PM
*raises hand*

MelK
03-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Is Terri another OOT babe like Alizee?

I must have missed the threads.

z32fanatic
03-24-2005, 04:48 PM
The worst part is that people actually believe that she is not a vegetable. She hasn't been able to feed herself for over 2 years, clearly she is a vegetable. I know that if I looked like that and were in that condition I would probably being wishing for death. We have the technology to keep almost any person alive at this point. At some point, you just have to let people go and Schiavo's parents are obviously having a hard time doing this.

wacki
03-24-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst part is that people actually believe that she is not a vegetable. She hasn't been able to feed herself for over 2 years, clearly she is a vegetable. I know that if I looked like that and were in that condition I would probably being wishing for death. We have the technology to keep almost any person alive at this point. At some point, you just have to let people go and Schiavo's parents are obviously having a hard time doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

fluxrad
03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know that if I looked like that and were in that condition I would probably being wishing for death.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - No you wouldn't. Do you see why?

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know that if I looked like that and were in that condition I would probably being wishing for death.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL - No you wouldn't. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious!!!

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread was purposely kept neutral on the outcome. If you want to argue this crap, take it to the politics forum.

lu_hawk
03-24-2005, 04:54 PM
bush issued this about schiavo earlier:

http://whitehouse.org/news/2005/031905.asp

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

politics forum, jackass.

Voltron87
03-24-2005, 05:00 PM
This thread is for people to say "Yes, I'm sick of all this political opportunism and circus." If your answer is no, go to the Politics forum.

bwana devil
03-24-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
politics forum, jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you bring up a political topic for discussion but ask that they keep all politics out of it? so you only want people to agree w/ you and if they dont, you tell them, "wrong forum"?

Chairman Wood
03-24-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is for people to say "Yes, I'm sick of all this political opportunism and circus." If your answer is no, go to the Politics forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about the people to say "No, I just can't get enough of this story?"

Broken Glass Can
03-24-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

politics forum, jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to jakethebake, he is an anti-free speech Nazi.

Once a topic is brought up, anyone can say whatever they want on the topic. Don't peddle your anti-free speech crap here.

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
politics forum, jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you bring up a political topic for discussion but ask that they keep all politics out of it? so you only want people to agree w/ you and if they dont, you tell them, "wrong forum"?

[/ QUOTE ]

the point of the thread was to bitch about this stupid story invading every waking moment of our lives for the last week and a half. not to go on some pro-life/pro-plugpull rant. one obviously belongs in this forum. the other obviously doesn't.

Broken Glass Can
03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to Voltron87, he is an anti-free speech Nazi.

Once a topic is brought up, anyone can say whatever they want on the topic. Don't peddle your anti-free speech crap here.

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

politics forum, jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't listen to jakethebake, he is an anti-free speech Nazi.

[/ QUOTE ]

you ass. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to Voltron87, he is an anti-free speech Nazi.

[/ QUOTE ]

but that wasn't the topic, moran. the topic was the ridiculous proliferation of this story, not life/death. sure you can go into any thread and discuss something irrelvant to the topic, but that's really just stupid.

Broken Glass Can
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but that wasn't the topic, moran. the topic was the ridiculous proliferation of this story, not life/death. sure you can go into any thread and discuss something irrelvant to the topic, but that's really just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if every long thread didn't creep from the original topic. Are you the Thread Police?

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As if every long thread didn't creep from original the original topic. Are you the Thread Police?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the thread police. The forum police. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, I know anyone can post whatever they want, but it's absolutely just stupid to post things where they don't belong. I don't care what your opinion is. Argue it either way as much as you like. But it's only considerate to do it in the appropriate place.

Broken Glass Can
03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least it's been a little while since we saw Broken Glass Can in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have much to say on this topic. There are millions of others facing death that have more to lose than Terri. (An unborn baby has his/her whole lifetime to lose)

ps - thanks for thinking of me, I'll be sure to post in the future just for you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Broken Glass Can
03-24-2005, 05:23 PM
You can't post a political related topic and not expect political posts. You are foolish to think otherwise. Don't post a Terri thread if you don't want a Terri discussion in all aspects.

lu_hawk
03-24-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

politics forum, jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

try clicking the link before you spout off douchebag.

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try clicking the link before you spout off douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

my sincerest apologies to you, sir. i leapt before i looked. i was trying to nip that other stinkweed in the bud.

Emmitt2222
03-24-2005, 05:55 PM
This is really about Terry Schiavo, this is about something much larger, human rights issue and what exactly constitutes as a human being. If she is killed then we are saying that consciousness is what makes us human in which case we can kill anyone in a coma and carrying it to the extreme could kill people in their sleep. If we say that she can't be killed, we are saying that there is something intrinsic to personhood and that everyone has rights, including fetuses. If you can't see the enormous implications of the decision that is being made on this one woman's life you are missing the big picture.

Voltron87
03-24-2005, 05:58 PM
This calls for a Terri Schiavo owned pic directed at jakethebake.

Chairman Wood
03-24-2005, 05:58 PM
So are you tired of it?

jason_t
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why this is dominating the news. I just went to the Wall Street Journal and clicked on Business News and one of the top stories is Terri Schiavo. Wtf? That's Business News?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night it became apparent that this story has gone too far. I overheard a conversation about the Schiavo story in a coffee shop and the decision regarding her was compared to decisions that Hitler made.

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is really about Terry Schiavo, this is about something much larger, human rights issue and what exactly constitutes as a human being. If she is killed then we are saying that consciousness is what makes us human in which case we can kill anyone in a coma and carrying it to the extreme could kill people in their sleep. If we say that she can't be killed, we are saying that there is something intrinsic to personhood and that everyone has rights, including fetuses. If you can't see the enormous implications of the decision that is being made on this one woman's life you are missing the big picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice response. You found a way to address the topic of the post, and still twist it into a political angle. My congratulations on your wiliness. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean there's nothing else going on in the world. And it certainly doesn't make it business news. I'd also argue that the event is no more or less significant because the media decides to run it 20 hours a day instead of one, although they seem to think their job is to decide what is news instead of report it.

jason_t
03-24-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Google Images helped me find this (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://scarabeoch0.supereva.it/T.Schiavo08.jpg&amp;imgrefurl=http://scarabeoch0.supereva.it/italiane_123.html&amp;h=500&amp;w=300&amp;sz=22&amp;tbnid=XRMsMDfD f9gJ:&amp;tbnh=127&amp;tbnw=76&amp;start=6&amp;prev=/images%3Fq%3Dterry%2Bschiavo%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D). (NSFW) If that's the T. Schiavo he means then....

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Google Images helped me find this (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://scarabeoch0.supereva.it/T.Schiavo08.jpg&amp;imgrefurl=http://scarabeoch0.supereva.it/italiane_123.html&amp;h=500&amp;w=300&amp;sz=22&amp;tbnid=XRMsMDfD f9gJ:&amp;tbnh=127&amp;tbnw=76&amp;start=6&amp;prev=/images%3Fq%3Dterry%2Bschiavo%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D). (NSFW) If that's the T. Schiavo he means then....

[/ QUOTE ]

...I'd do her. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bukwurm
03-25-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is really about Terry Schiavo, this is about ... exactly constitutes as a human being. If she is killed then we are saying that consciousness is what makes us human ... If you can't see the enormous implications of the decision that is being made on this one woman's life you are missing the big picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it's not that there is no consciousness - even usconscious people have active EEGs. This is about a body, that no longer has anything other than random electric impulses visible in the brain when an EEG is taken. It is also completely different than if she was in a coma - for the same reason. Her soul left her 15 years ago, if you believe in souls. SHE is not alive - only her shell remains.

If I ever get to this point, I hope my family has the courage to let me go peacefully. Michael Schiavo was with her every day until he was told by the doctors that she was no longer alive, in any reasonable form.

As far as it being overdone on the news - very definitely. It's a private tragedy. It's a shame it couldn't have remained private.