PDA

View Full Version : NYC Poker Clubs - Legal?

hpny22
03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
What is the deal with clubs in the city. I understand that they are probably illegal, and can likely be shut down.
But do I run any risk in playing some games there? If they get raided or whatever (does that happen?), and I happen to be there, what happens?
I'm not sure if this sounds paranoid, but I don't want any unnecessary legal troubles.

Thanks,

hp

lehighguy
03-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Yes, they are illegal.

I could tell you what rumors I've heard, but I'm really not sure what will happen to you. It is not as bad to be a player as the guy running the place.

Man, are those games so soft.

hpny22
03-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Well if you don't mind I'd like to hear some rumors - they are at least entertaing, if not informative, reliable, or accurate.

Wynton
03-24-2005, 11:34 AM
In NY, it is illegal to run these games, but not illegal to play in them.

On the other hand, it does not mean that there is zero risk playing there. Theoretically, the places could be raided and you could be hassled (even if ultimately cleared). And it's worth keeping in mind that some of those places keep copies of the players' identification, meaning that those records were be discovered by the police, which you might not like.

But as a practical matter, I consider the legal risk of playing at these clubs to be insignificant.

lehighguy
03-24-2005, 11:45 AM
That's basically the rumor I heard

hpny22
03-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks guy.

The club I went to didn't take a copy of my id, so I guess that helps a little as well.

Also, when you say a game is soft, what specifically does that mean?

Are they generally loose and aggressive or loose and passive (if either)?

Mojojojo
03-24-2005, 12:57 PM
On Superbowl Sunday there were quite a few raids of poker clubs in the city. I think all of them have re-opened, probably because the penalty didn't outweigh the profits they make.

You can find plenty of soft games of various types, from the loose aggressive maniac just looking to gamble it up with lots to lose to the scared types who you can push around plenty with aggressive betting. I have not heard of anyone playing suffering greatly, but I have never been at a club during a raid either.

The biggest drawback is the time charge usually. Most places have about $4/half hour table charge, so if you're playing at a relatively low limit that can be a few BB/hour. But in terms of limit games, you usually don't see less than $3/$6 at a club.

There's a new club with no chop from 1-7 pm that recently opened up.

hpny22
03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
That's the one I checked out. I plan to go there during the free time. Thanks

sfer
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On Superbowl Sunday there were quite a few raids of poker clubs in the city

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "quite a few" you meant "one" and by "Superbowl Sunday" you meant "the weekend before the Superbowl" I wholeheartedly agree with you.

[ QUOTE ]
...with no chop from 1-7 pm...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this means.

Mojojojo
03-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I thought it was three to five (okay, not "quite a few") and happened late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. My bad if I got some wrong information.

Chop free = no time charge at tables. House gets nothing (except people coming in to play during more dead hours and staying past 7). Free table time will only last a few weeks though I heard.

RustedCorpse
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
I was at one a couple months ago when it was raided, just always have id that proves you're over 21. When asking the cop what would have happened if I didn't have id he said "You get to spend the night in holding till someone gets you." Considering this could really suck on a weekend when most bailsbonds are closed, I reccomend you bring either ID or Lube when attending poker clubs.

RustedCorpse
03-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Only Brooklyn Players club got raided. Of the Manhattan clubs the only one that's ever been raided was Ace point, they were told to stop allowing booze.

BottlesOf
03-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Besdies BPC, Operation Kings Flush or whatever was targeting sports gambling operations, not really poker. So the other venues you're thinking of were probably those.

Mojojojo
03-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Makes sense close to the SuperBowl. Thanks for the clarification.

edtost
03-24-2005, 03:35 PM
what happened if you were under 21?

Luv2DriveTT
03-25-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...with no chop from 1-7 pm...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this means.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guys who run that club posted something on Craig's Lists saying the game would be "chop free". Either these guys know new code words for time charge, or their total idiots. I was baffled when I read it.... very odd.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Luv2DriveTT
03-25-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what happened if you were under 21?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about recently, but since there is no known age requirement for gambling in NY State (on NYC for that matter), it may not be treated any differently (febs may have their own set of rules, I do not know). The real question should be what happens if you don't have valid ID, or are caught with a fake ID. When the Mayfair was closed (nobody saw jail time there I should add) by the city some years ago anyone who didn't have ID was cuffed and brought downtwon to central booking until they could be identified. There are great stories some of the old timers tell about this.... its worth paying time charge just to hear them sometimes.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Evan
03-25-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there is no known age requirement for gambling in NY State

[/ QUOTE ]
There certainly is, it is 18.