PDA

View Full Version : For those who play acoustic guitar...

Slow Play Ray
03-24-2005, 10:45 AM
What kind(s) do you have, what do you think of it (them), and what do you think is the best? I have had an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe for about 5 years now, and I love the feel and sound, but I am thinking of selling it and buying a full-body instead. Just curious what others like.

Plus I can't concentrate on work because I am too excited about Vegas, so I need something else to think about.

Uston
03-24-2005, 10:52 AM
My only acoustic is a Yamaha FS-311 which is probably seven years old. It was very cheap (about $200 IIRC) and the sound is fine, even when compared with a pair of Martins that I've played, which were in the $2,000-$3,000 range.

2planka
03-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I have a Fender dreadnaught and a Fender resonator. I like the dreadnaught's tone much better than the tinny resonator.

namknils
03-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I play a Harmony, yeah that's right. In addition, it's at least 15 years old, and when I was younger I was carrying it up a staircase and accidentally put my knee right through the side. I just duct-taped it up and it was good as new. The thing sounds just fine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

turnipmonster
03-24-2005, 11:36 AM
ovations are great because they are indestructable and sound great through sound systems onstage, but I've never liked them for sitting around the house and playing with no amp. Larrivee makes great acoustic guitars.

Two Finger
03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Martin Mahogany, jumbo /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Martin D-18, dreadnaught
Gibson mahogany, 12-string jumbo
Guild maple body, spruce top, jumbo.
Koa dread naught, circa 1930s.
Takamine mahagaony w/pick up.

They're all my babies but I like the martin mahogany sound the best. I got bronze lite gauge Dean Markleys on them.

mmbt0ne
03-24-2005, 11:41 AM
My dad has a couple Ovations and I've played them a lot. I've set a little personal challenge for myself over this week to earn some money, and I'll be buying a Seagull at the end of the week. Not sure if I want the M6 or S6 yet though.

Two Finger
03-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I share the same sentiments w/the turnipmonster: I put Ovations and Takamines in a similar category of instruments. They play great onstage, are solid for gigging, but there are better sounding guitars for live playing.

whiskeytown
03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Once you go Taylor, you never go back.

I have a Taylor and I don't see myself ever buying another acoustic unless it's another Taylor.

RB

jar
03-24-2005, 02:35 PM
I have an Ibanez PF5CE that I picked up from a friend for 150. Well worth it, and it's all the acoustic I'll need for a while. Too bad you can't buy used guitar skill.

Edge34
03-24-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm still working on my first one, only started playing like 5 months ago. Bought a Johnson for cheapola on the internet, forget the website though. Got it for like a hundo, and I think it sounds pretty good compared to some other, more expensive ones I've played. At least, for a hundo.

I figured I'd pick up a cheaper one first, and if I decided I'd stick with it, I could always buy another one later. Of course, I also need to get an electric...meh...

DMBFan23
03-24-2005, 02:53 PM
I have a takamine G240 (my first guitar) and a Martin DX1. I would love a Martin DM or a Taylor 414, but I just can't really justify it to myself cause I only play recreationally. I can't decide between martins and taylors, I've played both extensively and they are both beautiful sounding for different reasons.

gorgeous
03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I have a Seagull, now warped because I haven't taken care of it (if anyone in the NYC area wants to buy it for cheap, PM me). I think Taylors are the best, but you can't go wrong w/ Martins either.

Slow Play Ray
03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
I didn't want to "lead the witnesses" but now that I've had a few replies, I'll throw this out there - the real decision is actually between Martin and Taylor for me. I have played around with both at the music store, but not sure which I prefer (I am also unsure of specifics and model #s). The reason I want a full body is pretty much what you guys have said - the Ovation is a good "gig" guitar, but what I really need is a good "campfire" guitar. You dig?

SossMan
03-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Martin or Taylor

turnipmonster
03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
ray, for me there is no substitute for going into the store and finding a guitar that you like. once you find one you like, check the model number and do some research. but my experience is, especially with midgrade guitars, even ones that are mass produced can have a lot of fluctuations in individual quality. my nylon string (yamaha) is a very cheap guitar but happens to sound pretty good tonewise, I've played other guitars that are the same model and don't sound nearly as good.

this is probably less true the more expensive the instrument. for instance, I've played two of the sadowsky jim hall archtops and both of them felt the same and were easily the best archtop I've ever played.

--turnipmonster

astroglide
03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
i wouldn't make any kind of blanket selection based on name brand. i haven't run into anything i would want more than my superlight goya. i can't reference the model anywhere but it's definitely a genuine one. i think i have some pics at home.

Perseus
03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Martin D-15...got a good deal on ebay and I love it...

...pretty good deal for the great sound, IMO

astroglide
03-24-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.badbeat.com/tmp/goya_label.jpg

this thing seriously weighs like one ounce and i love the way it sounds

EliteNinja
03-24-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a Norman B20 High Gloss.

Got it at a used instrument shop for $289 Cdn.

A little known Canadian company called Godin (pronounced "go-dan" with a silent 'n' makes Normans, Seagulls, and a few others. Awesome value.

I'm sure you guys heard of Seagull.

Some say the Normans sound a lot like a Martin.
Also, you can get them with Fishman Preamps built in.

James Boston
03-24-2005, 10:58 PM
I have a Takamine. I would suggest Gibson.