PDA

View Full Version : I have some work to do on Omaha Hi/Low!

kevstreet
03-24-2005, 09:26 AM
$11 SnGs
2 Tournaments

-10% ROI
50% ITM

Not sure if this is a big enough sample size!

About 4 months ago I entered myself in an Omhaha Hi/Lo SnG (by complete accident) finished in last place after having the early chip lead. Well, last night it happened again. It's always a pleasant surprise when you're dealt 4 hole cards... ugh! Well, I took my time and played very carefully and grinded my way to a 3rd place finish. Very happy with that result. I know it's been discussed on here about entering higher limits by accident but anyone sign up for a game they really don't have much experience with and end up winning some money?

Cleveland Guy
03-24-2005, 09:32 AM
I sign up for the occasional limit HE tourney - It's not quite the same thing, but I place more often than not.

They seem really soft on pokerrom, I'd probably play them more if they weren't so boring.

Apathy
03-24-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
place more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? you should switch to them and play them for a living then.

Cleveland Guy
03-24-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
place more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? you should switch to them and play them for a living then.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a sample size around 7 or 8 - I think it could just be short term luck.

Slim Pickens
03-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I finished second in my first O/8 accident. After that, I decided to actually learn the game. Now I play one on purpose every once in a while as a break from holdem.

Slim

ilya
03-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Omaha/8 is da bomb. I'm in the process of making the switch myself.

Check out the chapter on it in Super/System 2, it has all you need to get started in this wonderful game that is so full of excitement and fishie fishie fishies.

SuitedSixes
03-24-2005, 03:24 PM
I won my first O8 tournament, so I loaded up another one.

I had to ask why my hand of:
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

didn't win the high on an all diamond board . . . I mean, I had the nut flush.

I haven't done as well since I know how to play. A B&M O8 tournament was easily the worst experience of my life. It takes way too long to split pots for 10 min. levels.

kevstreet
03-24-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had to ask why my hand of:
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

didn't win the high on an all diamond board . . . I mean, I had the nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear Sixes, almost to the card, the same exact thing happened to me. I'm reading the chat box that the winning hand was a straight and I could not figure out why my nut flush didn't win and why all the chips were going elsewhere... lol.

Anyway, I may read a little about this game. It would be nice to at least know good starting hands just in case, who knows maybe I'll enter one on purpose.

Slim, is it much harder to learn than Hold Em?

pooh74
03-24-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I may read a little about this game. It would be nice to at least know good starting hands just in case, who knows maybe I'll enter one on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Slim Pickens
03-24-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm not much of a holdem or O8 player, but I think O8 was easier to learn for me. It's much more mathematical/probability oriented rather than psychologically oriented. You just play the numbers. The O8 SnG's are soft because the players typically have no concept of general tournament strategy, making mistakes (limping in for 1/6 of your stack with a marginal hand on the bubble) that even a holdem SnG novice such as myself would avoid.