PDA

View Full Version : HU against a maniac

krishanleong
03-24-2005, 07:56 AM
The raise was an isolation raise. Too bad he capped. He showed down pretty loose raising standards (PFR-22) He also can get tricky. On an earlier hand he cr the flop with top pair queens when I had kings and cred the river when a middle card paired.

Given the read, I made my plan to call down no matter how ugly the flop unless it contained an ace. The board that actually flopped made me want to abandon ship. Is this the correct plan in position against a maniac? And can I stick to it on the board?

Krishan

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

captZEEbo1
03-24-2005, 10:05 AM
88 3betting isn't really an isolation raise...
but anyways, I think you played it fine...too bad if he had like KJ or something.

krishanleong
03-24-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime I 3-bet a maniac it's an isolation raise. That doesn't mean I'm not getting value also.

Krishan

ArturiusX
03-24-2005, 10:19 AM
I think we the read it might be fine, but remember, even maniacs get dealt AK and KK on occasion.

I sometimes respect them if the boards looking particularly scary, and it isn't going to get any better after the turn/river. Wait for a better situation to go gunning with them.

captZEEbo1
03-24-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime I 3-bet a maniac it's an isolation raise. That doesn't mean I'm not getting value also.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I just meant it's a standard line to 3-bet with 88...just like if you 3-bet with AA, you wouldn't say it was an "isolation" raise. If you 3-bet with say, 22 or A2, you could say it was an "isolation" raise, because that's not the standard line.

krishanleong
03-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Ahh, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Krishan

Turning Stone Pro
03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
You're beat some much more often than not, in this situation. Play another hand.

TSP

krishanleong
03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we the read it might be fine, but remember, even maniacs get dealt AK and KK on occasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I know this is true. Just because my hand compares favorable preflop against the range of openraising hands doesn't mean it compares favoribly against their capping hands, or hands on a KQ 3 flush board.

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes respect them if the boards looking particularly scary, and it isn't going to get any better after the turn/river. Wait for a better situation to go gunning with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying you would dump this particular hand? Where?

Krishan

Mr. Graff
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're beat some much more often than not, in this situation. Play another hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can think of a few maniacs I've played where not calling down in this spot would be a mistake. You pay 2.5 BB to win 7.5 BB so you only have to be good 1/4 of the time. It really depends on whether his capping preflop means anything.

krishanleong
03-24-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It really depends on whether his capping preflop means anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the crux of the issue and I didn't know the answer. Without this information, it's impossible I think to determine if you should call down or not. Villian turned over 77 and MHIG. (Not that it's relevant)

Krishan