PDA

View Full Version : yuck hand

slavic
03-24-2005, 03:21 AM
To me this felt a little too aggressive post flop and not enough aggression pre-flop. I know most of the money is made postflop, and preflop raising adds very little to your winrate, but this feels wrong to a very aggressive hold'em player.

Party Poker (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

utg fold, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, I call, folds to the BB who taps the option

Flop: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, EP2 bets, MP1 calls, I raise, BB folds, EP2 3-bets, MP1 folds, I cap, EP2 calls.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
EP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
EP1 checks, Hero bets.

Nick709
03-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Bet the turn. Then if he raises, reraise, then if you can put more bets in, do it, your hand is to good not to cap the flop, and yeah a raise preflop might be alright but it depends on the players behind you.

lostinthought
03-24-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
, your hand is to good not to cap the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I can tell, hero did cap the flop.

lostinthought
03-24-2005, 05:27 AM
I like raising preflop since you already have a couple limpers.

I go ahead and bet the turn and call a raise.

It the low hits, (which it did) you obviously call a river bet, and bet if checked to.

I probably check through if the low doesn't hit (if checked to)

Yads
03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Raising or not raising PF in that situation is up to you, I don't think it matters either way with 2 limpers. Bet the turn. Otherwise seems good.

03-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Would like to hear why you didn't bet the turn.

slavic
03-24-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would like to hear why you didn't bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't 3 aces no kicker be very thin for a value bet, and if raised I have to call just to draw to half the pot right? Or am I just seeing monsters?

WEASEL45
03-24-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I like raising preflop since you already have a couple limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]
i just started playing o8 recently but shouldnt you also raise preflop to try and buy the button?
thanks

Nick709
03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I can tell hero was questioning his postflop aggression, so think about what you are writing before you post it.

bigredlemon
03-24-2005, 06:45 PM
From the way you're describing it, it sounds like you're up against 2344, but 2344 would certaintly bet the river even for a very passive player.

slavic
03-25-2005, 02:00 AM
The opponent had QQJ9 with no flush draw. Not sure what he was doing.

lostinthought
03-25-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I can tell hero was questioning his postflop aggression, so think about what you are writing before you post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be clear then, you should say,
"I think capping the flop, like you did, is fine/ideal."

chaos
03-25-2005, 09:35 AM
I think you were too aggressive on the flop. You have the nut flush draw and a non-counterfeitable nut low draw. Your raise (along with EP-2's raise) got the pot heads up. You may make more money be just calling on the flop, trying to draw other players in. You would like players with worse flushes and worse lows to call. Wait until the betting limits double to go for the raise.

lostinthought
03-25-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You would like players with worse flushes and worse lows to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Wait until the betting limits double to go for the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't these try statements contradict each other a bit?
My experience is that weaker draws will easily call flop bets and raises (especially if charged one step at a time), but when it's two cold on the turn, they start to chicken out.

I think pushing your monster on the flop is fine..

slavic
03-26-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You would like players with worse flushes and worse lows to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Wait until the betting limits double to go for the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't these try statements contradict each other a bit?
My experience is that weaker draws will easily call flop bets and raises (especially if charged one step at a time), but when it's two cold on the turn, they start to chicken out.

I think pushing your monster on the flop is fine..

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my experience in other forms of poker also. In general it's just a good idea to push early and often.