PDA

View Full Version : Top pair/no kicker vs. everybody

cold_cash
03-24-2005, 02:07 AM
I think I might have boned the pooch on this one, and I'm interested in how you might have played it.

The Button here was a semi-solid player, but probably a little too loose and aggressive. He would raise a lot of hands pre-flop.

The CO was an interesting dude. He's the guy that likes to limp re-raise out of spite, talk trash after he wins, etc. He's not very good, and he's not super aggressive; I think he just likes action. (And he likes to suck-out on better hands and then have a one man party.)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB folds, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (8 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Flop and turn were tough for me, but I'm interested in anything you've got.

KDawgCometh
03-24-2005, 02:29 AM
given your read of the CO, I'm wondering if a CR might be in order here. If not then I'm not sure how much I like my hand. The button calling and playing the hand very passivly after PF raising is kinda suspicious here. I'd be willing to bet he has 1010 or JJ. Is the CO having 45 out of the question here? Or A3o?

cold_cash
03-24-2005, 02:34 AM
No hand for the CO is out of the question. None.

mr pink
03-24-2005, 02:36 AM
i'm assuming you put this character on an ace by the description. i think the turn call is easier than the river because you still have some outs, but once the river comes in... there isn't much you can beat(A2 is the only other ace, unless you're chopping with another A6) don't know what i'd do, folding the river seems kinda silly since you got there but i can't see you being ahead here unless he's been betting a draw the whole way through.

Jonny Melon
03-24-2005, 02:39 AM
I'd bet out on the river here.

Jon

Nick C
03-24-2005, 02:54 AM
Flop: I think I like checking and seeing what develops.

Once you've done that, CO's bet isn't exactly a surprise and also isn't easy to interpret. Button's call is a concern, but he might be making a "semi-solid" decision to chase a set, especially if he's not convinced CO has him beat. MP2 specifically isn't so likely to have something you'd like to put pressure on, especially since there's a good chance you aren't even ahead. I like the call.

Turn: You picked up some nice outs, but I'm concerned enough about being behind that I really just want to get to the river as cheaply as possible. A bet from CO followed by a raise from Button wouldn't be much fun to face, but if Button plans to raise, he'll probably raise you too, and if CO just has QQ or something, he might fold to your bet, and you'd rather he didn't. I don't really see a problem with checking and calling here.

River: Against this opponent, I like check-calling again. Although I kind of want to bet, I don't really want to face a raise, since I'd have trouble folding to this guy in this spot.

Shillx
03-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Looks good until the river. On the river I would probably bet out. You have to think you are good here...

Brad

jason_t
03-24-2005, 03:06 AM
I normally fold preflop unless I am on a loose table, but after that I'd check/call, check/call, bet.

cold_cash
03-24-2005, 12:32 PM
What I didn't like about betting the river was I felt like this guy might be capable of raising this scary board to get me to fold the best hand, and I didn't want to have to call a raise.

It could still be the right move though.

Anyway, he showed A6o and we chopped it.

Jeffage
03-24-2005, 12:54 PM
This is poorly played on a number of streets. Bet the flop. You may be best and you also have runner-runner outs...checking tells you nothing and makes it more likely many people will see the turn. If you bet the flop, people in between may fold b/c it might get raised behind. I would definitely bet the turn when I pick up the flush outs. Again, you may be best and it is semi-believable you wheeled up based on your preflop limp. I don't mind the river play.

Also, note that limping preflop is slightly marginal. That said, if you're going to play (and I would most of the time), the profitability of the hand depends on you playing it WELL. If you're going to play it like this, I'd pitch it straight into the muck instead of limping with it (please don't take this personally, I'm trying to be constructive).

Jeff

QTip
03-24-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unless I am on a loose table

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even mind playing this at a tighter table as long as they're passive.

cold_cash
03-24-2005, 01:37 PM
The CO isn't going to fold to a flop bet, and there's only one other player between myself and the pre-flop raiser. What happens when I bet the flop, the CO calls, and the Button raises? It's going to be a pretty big pot at that point. (And there's a chance I still could be best even in that situation.)

Also, the chances of anyone thinking about what I'm holding on the level you describe is a pretty long shot.

I also think suited Aces are very profitable in the right games, but every now and then you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation with them.

Telling me to "pitch it straight into the muck" because of the small minority of the time I do find myself in that situation seems a little extreme.

Jeffage
03-24-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The CO isn't going to fold to a flop bet, and there's only one other player between myself and the pre-flop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? After two checks, I would surely bet so you have some idea of where you're at and can eliminate some people at least. You'll certainly eliminate the first two players if the button raises. I never advocated folding to a flop raise here.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the chances of anyone thinking about what I'm holding on the level you describe is a pretty long shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is A-2-3-5...I think even an idiot will recognize a 4 is possible.

[ QUOTE ]
I also think suited Aces are very profitable in the right games, but every now and then you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation with them.

Telling me to "pitch it straight into the muck" because of the small minority of the time I do find myself in that situation seems a little extreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you will find yourself in many marginal situations when you limp with this hand up front. This is not a reason not to do it...but you must play well to get away with it. If you were, say, the SB on this hand, I would advocate checkraising the flop. I think check-call after two people have already checked is bad poker in this spot. I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to offer my advice. Please don't take it personally.

Jeff

runa
03-24-2005, 02:57 PM
This hand is pretty tricky to play, and unfortunately the field is pretty large. I can actually see merit both for betting or checking the flop. The reason I don't like checking the flop is that occasionally you get into the situation where CO bets, the button raises, and you fold possibly the best hand here. Luckily CO bet and the button just called, and at that point its pretty clear you're in a ahead/behind situation since you're likely vs a better ace or PP.

This makes the turn play fairly easy, and luckily 3-way. You can now check here and see if button was indeed waiting to raise and fold against likely a better ace, and with all the outs you've picked up you have odds to see the river. Betting isn't getting anyone to fold and in a worst case you get 3-bet.

At this point HU it comes down to the kicker issue. Leading here certainly has its merits, but I'd be slightly worried about your kicker if he indeed has an ace since there aren't many you beat, and I would be fairly confident he's going to bet when checked to for the third time.

Seether
03-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Did you consider a turn raise? If your ahead you punish him, if your behind you have 9 outs to the flush, 3 6s which might me good and additional 3 4s which Im sure guarentee you being good. This is a good of spot as any for a semibluff checkraise imo.