PDA

View Full Version : good time to slow play a set?

tolbiny
03-24-2005, 01:57 AM
6 handed empire game- neither opponent has gotten out of line during the limited time i have been at the table.

I open raise in the cutoff with 99, button three bets and the BB caps.

we see a beautiful flop of

T,9,3 with 2 diamonds.

BB bets, i call, button calls

turn 3

BB bets, i call....

i think its fairly obvious that i am hoping the button will raise if he has an over pair and i can three bet it- and i also don't want to blow AK out of the water if i don't have to.

of course if he has a hand like JJ i am missing some bets here, no?

Alobar
03-24-2005, 02:00 AM
ugly

raise the flop!!!

see above

tolbiny
03-24-2005, 02:18 AM
I don't like raising the flop here- basically AK or AQ drops (without diamonds) on the button, costing me an almost garenteed call from the button- however if he has QQ-AA or two dimonds or an openended straight he will riase a lot, giving me a three bet- or even a cap if BB three bets.

Michael Davis
03-24-2005, 02:19 AM
I pretty much don't think there's ever a good time, but here might be one.

-Michael

Alobar
03-24-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like raising the flop here- basically AK or AQ drops (without diamonds) on the button

[/ QUOTE ]

we must be playing in a different game...do you play on party poker?

Im raising because either a) somones got an overpair and Im going to get tons of action or b) somones got overcards but will call on the flop whereas they arent going to call on the turn

captZEEbo1
03-24-2005, 02:43 AM
I raise the flop and button will probably call or raise and then BB might 3-bet. Then you can pop them all for more bets on the turn depending on who raised...you'll get 3-bet from any overpair.

lighterjobs
03-24-2005, 02:52 AM
if it was heads up i might call on the flop and pop it up on the turn. but, it's three handed and it was capped on the flop so you should have raised the flop and definately DEFINATELY raised the turn. you are just losing bets.

tolbiny
03-24-2005, 03:23 AM
[censored]

you guys are right- i should have raised the flop- called a three bet and then raised the turn.

Anyway- i hit quads on the river- and i got 4 bets out of BB- button called the turn bet and folded to the raise on the river.

The other strange thing was that i have noticed i don't give a crap about hitting huge hands like 9999 anymore. I was already sure i had won the hand, and who cares about quads? i was actaul pissed that it might kill my action.

Alobar
03-24-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was already sure i had won the hand, and who cares about quads? i was actaul pissed that it might kill my action.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I'm the same way. lol....I think its a good thing tho