PDA

View Full Version : How much do you loosen up when you're being bullied

KenProspero
03-24-2005, 12:33 AM
I think the question says it all. Recently, I've had a couple of situations where a player to my right was trying to steal blinds with impunity.

What I did was loosen up somewhat, based on the assumption that on average, the bully had somewhat weaker hands, then come over the top with anything marginally playable.

The theory worked well (as I found myself with lots of chips in the pot with the best hand) as to the bad beats -- well, that's poker.

Anyway, I was wondering what other's general strategy is.

ZebraAss
03-24-2005, 12:37 AM
I want to hear what others say too. I have been doing very bad lately(bad play /images/graemlins/frown.gif and that other stuff /images/graemlins/frown.gif). And I have noticed that I have been getting bullied out the butt hole!

Help...

PS: I know its lame but some of us need a little boost...

SuitedSixes
03-24-2005, 01:14 AM
You've got to put him on a range of hands and play accordingly. He doesn't have better hands than you all the time . . . and cover up your butthole.

Pepsquad
03-24-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You've got to put him on a range of hands and play accordingly. He doesn't have better hands than you all the time . . . and cover up your butthole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, I'd agree with trying to put your opponent on a range of hands but it's just misplaced advice in this situation. When a player to your right is on a stealing frenzy they can literally hold any two. Hand reading is irrelivent at this point. You need to pay very close attention to villain's bet amounts and the single most important factor is position. You are actually in a great situation because he is on your right. Is villain strictly stealing from the later positions or from EP and MP as well? I think you handled the situation well by paring down your starting requirements. The key is not to become as crazy as he is with your re-steals and try to focus your re-steals on hands where the blinds are short-stacked. Don't get caught up in completely shutting him down, just come over the top enough to let him know you're capable of it. And when you do get a monster, DO NOT min-raise his steal. Put the pedal to the metal and hopefully this will be the hand he gets pissed enough to look you up.

Just be patient. LET HIM STEAL. It's okay, really. People always get caught up in trying to stifle the table bully, but the truth is, you don't need to be nearly as active with him at the table as you'd have to be without him. One well-times re-steal is usually worth 3-4 steals. So actually this presents a favorable situation for you.

apd138
03-24-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, I'd agree with trying to put your opponent on a range of hands but it's just misplaced advice in this situation. When a player to your right is on a stealing frenzy they can literally hold any two. Hand reading is irrelivent at this point. You need to pay very close attention to villain's bet amounts and the single most important factor is position. You are actually in a great situation because he is on your right. Is villain strictly stealing from the later positions or from EP and MP as well? I think you handled the situation well by paring down your starting requirements. The key is not to become as crazy as he is with your re-steals and try to focus your re-steals on hands where the blinds are short-stacked. Don't get caught up in completely shutting him down, just come over the top enough to let him know you're capable of it. And when you do get a monster, DO NOT min-raise his steal. Put the pedal to the metal and hopefully this will be the hand he gets pissed enough to look you up.

Just be patient. LET HIM STEAL. It's okay, really. People always get caught up in trying to stifle the table bully, but the truth is, you don't need to be nearly as active with him at the table as you'd have to be without him. One well-times re-steal is usually worth 3-4 steals. So actually this presents a favorable situation for you.

[/ QUOTE ] I think the first thing you did in this post was put the opponent on a range of hands.