PDA

View Full Version : Backing/Staking

brainwash
03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
looking at the recent post, i'm just wondering why these people who have no success whatsoever ask for a stake when it is clear that this is just another way of begging for them. my question is that, for a successful player that has a resume...would it be more advantageous for them to get a 50-50 stake for tourneys, or play with their own money to win the full amount. i am asking this because i have people coming up and asking to back me, since i won 37k in the sunday tourney and have a track record, and they feel that it is a good investment. i sorta like the idea of playing risk free, but would also like to maximize my potential reward. thoughts please

CardSharpCook
03-24-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
looking at the recent post, i'm just wondering why these people who have no success whatsoever ask for a stake when it is clear that this is just another way of begging for them. my question is that, for a successful player that has a resume...would it be more advantageous for them to get a 50-50 stake for tourneys, or play with their own money to win the full amount. i am asking this because i have people coming up and asking to back me, since i won 37k in the sunday tourney and have a track record, and they feel that it is a good investment. i sorta like the idea of playing risk free, but would also like to maximize my potential reward. thoughts please

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players tend to believe in their skills, and believe that if given the chance, they'd be wildly successful (I am guilty of this as well). It is not a huge stretch of the imagination for someone to believe that they could find another person to believe in them. This isn't begging. It is a little misguided, and I doubt it often works, but I have respect for backing requests. It says "I believe in myself, and I WILL make YOU money." Now that is confidence! Again, misguided confidence, but....

As for your situation, just work to find a deal that works for you and your backer. Remember, the "money" should get more of the reward because the risk is theirs. Be fair, for they are also paying for your poker education.

CSC

Punker
03-24-2005, 12:50 AM
If you are good, you should play with your own money, within the means you can afford. If you are bad, take all the backing you can get, and play whatever and hope for the best.

If you are good, the only reason to take a backer is if you want to get experience playing events that are beyond your bankroll. Don't get caught up in the "cool" factor of having a backer, etc. If you're going to play $200 and down tournaments, and you won $37K, you don't need a backer.

CardSharpCook
03-24-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are good, you should play with your own money, within the means you can afford. If you are bad, take all the backing you can get, and play whatever and hope for the best.

If you are good, the only reason to take a backer is if you want to get experience playing events that are beyond your bankroll. Don't get caught up in the "cool" factor of having a backer, etc. If you're going to play $200 and down tournaments, and you won $37K, you don't need a backer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dislike the theory that, "you've just won $37K, you can afford any tourney." One great skill in poker is being able to adapt to a new situation. Your net worth just increased $37K. Does that change your situation enough that you want to be risking quite a bit of money on poker tourneys? If you are not comfortable risking so much money, get a backer if you have offers. Don't let big wins change your attitude towards/thoughts about poker.

CSC

Punker
03-24-2005, 12:58 AM
If you have a $37K bankroll, you are BR'd enough to play $200 and down tourneys assuming you aren't a losing player. I'm not advocating jumping up to the $5K headsup sit&go's by any means. Just that if you are going to play events that are within your BR, you don't need a backer.

CardSharpCook
03-24-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a $37K bankroll, you are BR'd enough to play $200 and down tourneys assuming you aren't a losing player. I'm not advocating jumping up to the $5K headsup sit&go's by any means. Just that if you are going to play events that are within your BR, you don't need a backer.

[/ QUOTE ]

But my point is, why is the $37K part of his poker bankroll? Maybe he has college loans to pay off, maybe he has a daughter that may want to go to college some day or a wife he'd like to provide a home for. Divorce the winnings from the poker bankroll as quickly as possible, is what I say. That is what I did, anyway. My poker bankroll was below the level I wanted when I one a big one, so I did keep some of it in my poker account, but the rest is for a life with a woman I've not yet met - and that money will never be touched by my poker hands.

CSC

Punker
03-24-2005, 01:16 AM
Fair enough...he should determine what bankroll he needs to play the events he wants, and if he can set aside enough as a separate bankroll to do so, he should not take a backer. If he cannot, backer away.

Nottom
03-25-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But my point is, why is the $37K part of his poker bankroll? Maybe he has college loans to pay off, maybe he has a daughter that may want to go to college some day or a wife he'd like to provide a home for. Divorce the winnings from the poker bankroll as quickly as possible, is what I say. That is what I did, anyway. My poker bankroll was below the level I wanted when I one a big one, so I did keep some of it in my poker account, but the rest is for a life with a woman I've not yet met - and that money will never be touched by my poker hands.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sence to a degree. If you already have the BR to play in the big tourneys, then you should be just cashing out most of the winnings. If you are a player who normally plays lower because of a small BR, but end up scoring big off a sat and think you have the skills to compete at the higher level then I tend to think you should keep enough to support playing higher since it will lead to more $ coming your way for all the things you mention.

BK_
04-18-2005, 12:51 AM
if people are coming up to you asking to stake you, why did you just make a post begging for one?

brainwash
04-18-2005, 12:58 AM
i'm not begging. if no one wants to that's fine. the previous people did not feel comfortable with the amount i was asking for each week.

CardSharpCook
04-18-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if people are coming up to you asking to stake you, why did you just make a post begging for one?

[/ QUOTE ]

way to do the research, bk!!! Brainwash, congrats on your recent success!

Mad Genius1
04-18-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not begging. if no one wants to that's fine. the previous people did not feel comfortable with the amount i was asking for each week.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much is it that you are asking for each week? I may be interested, although in all likelihood, it won't happen for one reason or another.