PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

LoaferGee12
03-23-2005, 11:57 PM
New to MTT's and was just wondering if anyone has any links to a rough outline of playable preflop hands early on in the tourney. I can't figure out if I am supposed to play real tight or open up and make some loose limps. If I can hang around the average stack for a while then I usually do well in the middle/later stages.

CardSharpCook
03-24-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
New to MTT's and was just wondering if anyone has any links to a rough outline of playable preflop hands early on in the tourney. I can't figure out if I am supposed to play real tight or open up and make some loose limps. If I can hang around the average stack for a while then I usually do well in the middle/later stages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play Limit hold 'em? Hand selection should be similiar. I'd advise reading Sklansky's books, if you have not yet.

CSC

LoaferGee12
03-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Yes I do. Should the raise selection be similar? Would HoH be a good buy as well as some slansky?

zaxx19
03-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Really?? I love baby pairs up front early in a MTT....

hate them upfront in limit holdem usually unless its an absolutely insane loose game.

LoaferGee12
03-24-2005, 12:06 AM
No problem there.. I love baby pairs in low-limit hold em in any position for 1-bet. So you're advising limping a hand like 44 UTG?

CardSharpCook
03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No problem there.. I love baby pairs in low-limit hold em in any position for 1-bet. So you're advising limping a hand like 44 UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Zaxx. But then I think this might be a difference btwn limit and NL. The payoff for a low PP is even greater in a NL game, so you can afford to call a raise if you limp early. Also, zaxx, I don't believe that a limit table has to be "insanely loose" for you to play a low PP early. As loafer suggested, playing low PPs in low limit games in EP is usually a good move. In higher limit games, you do need a certain table dynamic, but "insanely loose" is a bit dramatic. Whatever, a discussion for another forum.

CSC