PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

imported_deitelc
03-23-2005, 11:55 PM
First off, thanks to everyone for all the contributions. I'm now starting to make some money. I kept losing at Holdem. I just don't have the stomache for the large swings in other games and I love the smaller variance of Omaha/8. Once I realized that it's not Holdem and KK83 sucks, everything clicked. There is nothing like the feeling of having an oppenent re-raising when you know that you are going to quarter him.

Last night I ended up about $40 playing two tables at .50/1.00. The money came from the very few hands that I played. I noticed on one table, I folded 20 consecutive hands preflop. Then I would get two monster hands in a short period. Is it normal to go so long without playing a hand?

Thanks.

slavic
03-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Hi deitelc -

The short answer is yes, this is why many hold'em players lable the game as boring.

It's also fair to point out that I have gone way more than 20+ hands in hold'em without seeing a flop also.

Oddly in stud 8 I see 3rd street every time.

Thanks,
Dan

imported_deitelc
03-24-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the reply slavic. It's nice to see that I did somethings right. I just downloaded Poker Tracker for Omaha. Once I have a few thousand hands, I'll have a better understanding as to how I play. I love this game.

Nak
03-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Don't worry, you'll get some lovely swings in Omaha, too.

Nak

NJchick
04-01-2005, 01:25 PM
You can go for several orbits without playing a hand. I play 15-30 live and with $25 a rotataion plus $6 time charge it sucks when I am card dead. However I always try to play to scoop or 3/4 so Im one pot away from gaining ground.

You'll play much tighter in O/8 than in Hold Em. Hands like A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (which I got dealt last night) suck in O/8.

Way to go on your winning session. Keep playing smart!

NJC