PDA

View Full Version : Apartment fire help

TMFS9
03-23-2005, 08:11 PM
A few months ago my girlfriend had a small grease fire limited to the kitchen in her apartment, which was her fault. Her and one of her roomates moved into another apartment in the same complex, she has sinced moved out. About a month after the fire they sent her a bill for a little over $6000, some of the charges seemed a little excessive with one example of charging for the changing of tile and toilets in the bathroom while the fire was solely limited to the kitchen. They later removed the charges dealing with the bathroom.

They have been dicussing the issue for around the last two months on the charges and if the complex's insurance would cover the costs, my girlfriend did not have renter's insurance. The complex claims that it's her fault for not having insurance to cover damages to their property. I have always been under the assumption that renter's insurance covers the renter's property, while the complex's insurance covers the landlords property. At first the complex claimed that their insurance only covered structural damage to the building, then the came back and said that their insurance covers more than structural but because they have had a few other claims that they didn't want to claim this fire because it would increase their rates. Now their reason is that the insurance company would come after my girlfriend for the money anyways so she might as well pay them, claiming that they are doing her a "favor" by not using the insurance company.

I, for the first time, went and talked to them today and the guy was real pushy. We started talking about the insurance covering the costs and he originally claimed that the insurance has already processed the paperwork, but he told them to hold off for a little while because he was going to get my girlfriend to pay for it. I don't know if you can just tell the insurance company to hold off on processing a claim, can you? Finally I asked to talk to his insurance representative and he started to get irate saying that his agent won't talk to a non client and kept repeating that he is doing my girlfriend a favor. Then the Final reason he used for not using his insurance company was for "personal reasons" then he threatened that if she didn't pay him the money by the end of the week he will file a lawsuit.

Has anyone had any experience with these situations and does anyone know what alterior motives he would have to not use the insurance.

istewart
03-23-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few months ago my girlfriend had a small grease fire limited to the kitchen in her apartment, which was her fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought this was hilarious.

codewarrior
03-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Funnier if it were the bedroom....

codewarrior
03-23-2005, 08:18 PM
We have this annoying thing called "lawyers". Get one.

Boris
03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
You want to hold off for as long as possible on getting a lawyer. The reason is the lawyer costs start adding up real fast. Many cities, especially college towns, have non profit organizations to help renters who are getting screwed by the landlord. Furthermore, document every single conversation you and your gf have with the scumbag landlord. If possible limit all communications to email. If it looks like they are serious about a lawsuit then get a lawyer. I'm pretty sure the lawsuit angle is just a bluff though. Remember, lawyers cost money for the landlord as well and for $6k it's hardly worth going to court.

Brainwalter
03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had any experience with these situations and does anyone know what alterior motives he would have to not use the insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

My take is that his insurance is supposed to cover this type of event, but he can stop his rates from going up if he can intimidate your girlfriend into paying for it. From what you've said, I would not pay this, and if his strong-arm tactics continue you will probably want to see a lawyer.

SomethingClever
03-23-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My take is that his insurance is supposed to cover this type of event, but he can stop his rates from going up if he can intimidate your girlfriend into paying for it. From what you've said, I would not pay this, and if his strong-arm tactics continue you will probably want to see a lawyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

TMFS9
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Actually the more I think about it, the more I think it's possible that he has already claimed it on his insurance and is trying to get extra money out of her. Any idea how I could go about finding if a claim has been filed without going through the complex. If this was true would it be considered insurance fraud?

deacsoft
03-23-2005, 10:36 PM
How embarassing... a fridge full of condiments and no food.

maryfield48
03-24-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't know much about US law & insurance practice. But if he did claim on his insurance, the carrier would have the right to claim on whoever was negligently responsible for causing the damage.

If he claimed on his insurance and is also trying to claim on your gf, yes his insurance company would have a problem with that. If you know who his carrier is I don't see why you couldn't call 'em and ask them - but that might just prompt a claim from them.

Also he is not obliged to claim on his insurance. If he wants to claim directly on gf without using his insurance I reckon he has every right to.

His ulterior motive is likely to be he doesn't want to pay higher premiums.